The New Moor Market

My missus called in today and said the only place queued out was the nail bar, I suppose the punters were on a lunch break and didn't have time to get to Meadowhall.

Times move on, the younger generation shop online or make a day out with a visit to a cinema, a nice meal and leisurely shopping in a nice clean undercover enclosure.

Almost all the outdoor Sunday markets have gone the way of the old Castle Market, soon there wont be enough of us "oldies" left to satisfy the needs for markets, sad, but a fact of life I'm afraid.

Have you been to thorsby market? it is full of junk and fake junk , why would anyone want to buy rubblish like that:huh:

Why do people think Manpower services has blocked anything? Im not aware of there being substantial retail activity on the site where it is?

Please provide a more detailed explanation.

The decline of the Moor iirc and imo was much more to do with Meadowhall, recessions and the way people shop. If there was more money in Sheffield then they wouldnt have a problem finding investors and developers.

One thing I have noticed recently has been all the out of town retail parks, which in conjunction with the supermarkets must have a big impact.

Well according to Anna Glypta it stopped Londoners who'd travelled all the way up here from getting into Sheffield. So they all turned round and went back down south

I am not the one who is a single parent and on benefits love

You have never had the chance of becoming a parent, by that reckoning I'll wager you are just single and on benefits.

---------- Post added 12-08-2014 at 20:45 ----------

Relevance?

Yes what exactly is the relevance ?

Well according to Anna Glypta it stopped Londoners who'd travelled all the way up here from getting into Sheffield. So they all turned round and went back down south

Actually I'd love to see a link to that because it seems to be a post I obviously missed.

Relevance?

she is trolling me saying i never been out of sheffield. do you think that is right?

---------- Post added 12-08-2014 at 20:54 ----------

You have never had the chance of becoming a parent, by that reckoning I'll wager you are just single and on benefits

How did i guess?:hihi:

Why do people think Manpower services has blocked anything? Im not aware of there being substantial retail activity on the site where it is?

Please provide a more detailed explanation.

The decline of the Moor iirc and imo was much more to do with Meadowhall, recessions and the way people shop. If there was more money in Sheffield then they wouldnt have a problem finding investors and developers.

One thing I have noticed recently has been all the out of town retail parks, which in conjunction with the supermarkets must have a big impact.

In my opinion manpower building cut a major artery into Sheffield. It diverted folk from Ecclesall Road away from th Moor and blocked London Road. Both those roads have lively evening and daytime cafe culture which no longer spills over onto the Moor. I agree Meadowhall took large amounts of business away from the town centre. Perhaps those stores wouldn't have been so keen to move had the Moor not been mortally wounded. Meadowhall is where the shops and shoppers went. That isn't the same as the reason they left the city centre.

Just look at the number of pubs, cafes, and restaurants on London Road and Eccelsall Road then count the number on the Moor.

Edited by Scabbydog