The New Moor Market

Remember not everyone lives around the tram... most people access town through the bus, most of which pass through the moor.

I'm well aware that they don't, but then the idea of the new market was to increase trade not limit the amount of people prepared to make the effort to get to it. That's why I don't shop at Lincoln Market. Its just too much trouble to get there.

If they want more people to use the market they need to attract them in not make life difficult for them.

I'm happy to come into town and see events like heritage open days, the Spiegel Tent etc. But they aren't happening in that dead end which is now the Moor. So I probably won't be using the new(ish) market.

Edited by roosterboost

I'm well aware that they don't, but then the idea of the new market was to increase trade not limit the amount of people prepared to make the effort to get to it. That's why I don't shop at Lincoln Market. Its just too much trouble to get there.

If they want more people to use the market they need to attract them in not make life difficult for them.

I'm happy to come into town and see events like heritage open days, the Spiegel Tent etc. But they aren't happening in that dead end which is now the Moor. So I probably won't be using the new(ish) market.

most of the buses, pass through the new market, rather than the old one. so its not really limiting who is and isnt coming to it. the only people it affects, is those who use the trams, of which if you have a pass should be able to get on most stagecoach buses from either arundel gate via the castle square stop or near the old market via ponds forge stop.

So no need to walk the half mile.

If they can play games knocking things down and resurrecting a super dream building with a cinema on the other side of moor why not move city hall employees to the new moor market if they like that place so much and set up a new market inside city hall. Then the council only has to cross the moor to go to the cinema and dream.
You mean council employees like the ones at Moorfoot and Redvers House and Howden House and Derwent House who are all within a 10 minute walk of the the market?

Its at the bottom of the Moor not in the in the middle of the moors

I visited the market for the second time last week and the stalls were deserted the only people in there were in the food area, I looked at a few items and they all seemed quite expensive compared to other places, I don't see it drawing anyone in at all.

See I am not the only one who thinks this way.

They should have knocked down the lyceum theatre and moved it to the moor. Then put the market right there in the middle of town.

If they can play games knocking things down and resurrecting a super dream building with a cinema on the other side of moor why not move city hall employees to the new moor market if they like that place so much and set up a new market inside city hall. Then the council only has to cross the moor to go to the cinema and dream.

Knocked down the Lyceum? Are you mad? And the City Hall? Are you at war with our theatres/venues or something? One of the things Sheffield has spot on is the Cultural Quarter, why mess with that?

The market is failing because it was finished before the rest of the Moor was, it is as simple as that in my opinion. The Moor has got a reputation for being a grotty grubby road that no one really wants to use, nor did it fit in with the rest of the city, the market on its own isn't going to turn that reputation around so the momentum isn't there to attract people.

most of the buses, pass through the new market, rather than the old one. so its not really limiting who is and isnt coming to it. the only people it affects, is those who use the trams, of which if you have a pass should be able to get on most stagecoach buses from either arundel gate via the castle square stop or near the old market via ponds forge stop.

So no need to walk the half mile.

I'll try again as you clearly aren't reading what I post.

I come into town on the tram. It is convenient for getting to Fargate. I go to Fargate because that's where things are happening. They have music events, food festivals, open heritage days in the fine buildings, there are cafes, there are pubs, there are people. I don't go to the Moor because there isn't anything there to attract me. It wouldn't matter if the tram stopped in the middle of the Moor Market itself. I wouldn't be getting off. I prefer to be in a different part of town. If they had built the market in Orchard Square I would have walked through it but I'm not about to take a long hike to a part of town that time forgot.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 13:52 ----------

The market is failing because it was finished before the rest of the Moor was, it is as simple as that in my opinion. The Moor has got a reputation for being a grotty grubby road that no one really wants to use, nor did it fit in with the rest of the city, the market on its own isn't going to turn that reputation around so the momentum isn't there to attract people.

You have it in one. All I could add is the question why would anyone choose to move onto the Moor. It is now a chicken and egg thing. The Moor is as you say grotty so decent stores won't relocate there. Without decent stores the Moor will remain grotty so decent stores won't relocate there.

My biggest issue its its opening hours.

Stay open late and get that commuter foot fall on their way home, instead of them popping into Sainsburys, Aldi or Waitrose on their way back

Not just that, half of the stalls have packed away before 4:30, so even if you do get there before it closes, it's slim pickings. At least a few workers could get there if everything stayed open until 5:30pm, 6pm might make a big difference. I know the stall holders have long hours & most of them work hard, but that extra 30minutes, or at least keeping the stall open until it's supposed to close could make a difference. They can't open late like supermarkets, they'd have to take on more staff if they did, but a chance of getting some of that after work trade could be good for them.

Still lots of empty stalls too :(

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 14:33 ----------

I'll try again as you clearly aren't reading what I post.

I come into town on the tram. It is convenient for getting to Fargate. I go to Fargate because that's where things are happening. They have music events, food festivals, open heritage days in the fine buildings, there are cafes, there are pubs, there are people. I don't go to the Moor because there isn't anything there to attract me. It wouldn't matter if the tram stopped in the middle of the Moor Market itself. I wouldn't be getting off. I prefer to be in a different part of town. If they had built the market in Orchard Square I would have walked through it but I'm not about to take a long hike to a part of town that time forgot.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 13:52 ----------

You have it in one. All I could add is the question why would anyone choose to move onto the Moor. It is now a chicken and egg thing. The Moor is as you say grotty so decent stores won't relocate there. Without decent stores the Moor will remain grotty so decent stores won't relocate there.

They have events on The Moor now, there are still some shops, cafes & restaurants too. It's being redeveloped & should get a new cinema, hopefully. The Moor is improving since the market opened & hopefully the redevelopment will continue. It's really not far from Fargate either, the exercise might do you good. Other forms of transport are available too.

I think a lot of us would prefer the market to be close to where it was before, but it's really not that far out, it's well served with buses & car parks. It's the only market we've got & I'd rather pay my money to small local traders, rather than supermarkets, when I can. They're much better for fresh meat & fish too. I think the chickens & eggs taste better from the market.

Edited by anywebsite

Moan ~ Moan ~ Moan

You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time

The tram only serves half of the city, don't forget that and it was a bit of a walk to the market from the tram stop as it was from the interchange. The market had a long tradition in its old location but it has gone now so get used to it, in a couple of years The Moor will be revitalised and the market will be a success, mark my words.

Haha. Sheffield has one of the smallest city centres, relative to it's size as a city in the country.

The Moor Market is in a much better location and as time passes and the rest of the moor is brought upto spec, we will finally have a strip that can compete. The market is top. Just needs more support from people who don't want to walk around a city centre.