The New Moor Market

No, of course they don't have a stall selling stuff. That would be silly. But they have got this;

http://sheffieldmarkets.com/markets/moor-market

The buck stays with SCC, and if they aren't offering a reasonable package to proposed stall holders then the future will be bleak. Just because it cost 18 squillion pounds to build doesn't mean it will be a success. Lets just hope the 30 odd empty stalls are filled and the surrounding area improves to entice people to male the effort.

It did not cost 18 million quid it has cost four times that if you include the interest on the loan.

Who is paying is it the stallholders [minus the 38 empty ones] or is it the rate payers, us ,.

Answer please Council? or maybe the Market management:hihi:

They need to use the two vacant boarded up adjoining units next door to put the food outlets in then at the back of the market where the food units were they need to put the post office along that back wall

This would guarantee footfall every day, people would be forced at the heart of the market and the rest of trade will follow, they would fill the remaining empty units because of reliable passing trade and the place would always be full

There, I am a genius

They need to use the two vacant boarded up adjoining units next door to put the food outlets in then at the back of the market where the food units were they need to put the post office along that back wall

This would guarantee footfall every day, people would be forced at the heart of the market and the rest of trade will follow, they would fill the remaining empty units because of reliable passing trade and the place would always be full

There, I am a genius

The fact that they didn't bring the Post Office onto the Moor when the market moved up there is a huge missed opportunity, it's not long since they moved it out of Castle House. It didn't even have to go into the market building if the Post Office are too tight to pay rent for a a modern property, there's plenty of old run down shop space they can use.

I'm sure the Post Office will move up to the Moor when the likes of B&M, Wilkinsons and Heron get booted out of the Haymarket.

The fact that they didn't bring the Post Office onto the Moor when the market moved up there is a huge missed opportunity, it's not long since they moved it out of Castle House. It didn't even have to go into the market building if the Post Office are too tight to pay rent for a a modern property, there's plenty of old run down shop space they can use.

I'm sure the Post Office will move up to the Moor when the likes of B&M, Wilkinsons and Heron get booted out of the Haymarket.

Why would they get booted out are we living in a dictatorship? .

:huh: Does the council have stalls selling stuff in the market?

Some stalls do well, some don't.

Some stalls have queues of people buying cheap crap, some have stalls full of expensive stuff nobody buys.

Personally speaking I go to the market to buy stuff I can't get elsewhere. Octopus, cuttlefish, baby aubergines, rare beers. These are all niche items, but that's the only reason I go there.

The council does have a product that it chose to create and is responsible for selling to the public - that is the market itself.

Indications after nearly 18 months of trading is that the product they have created is a white elephant that will cost council taxpayers millions.

:huh: Does the council have stalls selling stuff in the market?

Some stalls do well, some don't.

Some stalls have queues of people buying cheap crap, some have stalls full of expensive stuff nobody buys.

Personally speaking I go to the market to buy stuff I can't get elsewhere. Octopus, cuttlefish, baby aubergines, rare beers. These are all niche items, but that's the only reason I go there.

Costco sells baby Aubergines......

Why would they get booted out are we living in a dictatorship? .

The buildings they are in at the very least need recladding and refurbishing, and their current use doesn't really fit with our beloved council's "masterplan" so I do think they will move on within the next five years.

I wish they would build a market on part of the waste land next to Meadowhall, then people wouldn't have to go into the scruffy, unsafe city centre unless they really had to. Maybe then the council would clean the ruddy place up.

Such a shame, A big city like this and the centre is full of junkies, drunks and rubbish floating all over the place.:gag:

I've never been to a city the size of Sheffield which didn't have the same number of junkies, drunks and rubbish floating all over the place; just that in most of the others they are hidden more behind the greater number of office workers and retail consumers.

I was walking to New Street Station in Birmingham on Wednesday night and they had collections of homeless people and drunken revellers that eclipsed anything you see in Sheffield. I've walked around Birmingham (a lovely city by the way, contrary to it's reputation) during the day, and seen similar.

I've never been to a city the size of Sheffield which didn't have the same number of junkies, drunks and rubbish floating all over the place; just that in most of the others they are hidden more behind the greater number of office workers and retail consumers.

I was walking to New Street Station in Birmingham on Wednesday night and they had collections of homeless people and drunken revellers that eclipsed anything you see in Sheffield. I've walked around Birmingham (a lovely city by the way, contrary to it's reputation) during the day, and seen similar.

Agreed totally.

Sheffield city center is quite large and lacks workers, jobs, tourists, hotels etc. Whilst there can be problematic people in the city center they are much easier to see because of the lack of density.

Presumably the council are looking to find the castle foundations, then spend the next 100 years rebuilding it very slowly with the help of volunteers and a few paid workers thus creating a tourist attraction and demand for local cafes and hotels.