The New Moor Market

I think the whole castle idea is a joke really. I can't imagine there's much to see.

Having said that, I'm all for regenerating the area with offices and using part of that land for a park. But will it really attract the jobs needed to fill the offices?

I wish they would build a market on part of the waste land next to Meadowhall, then people wouldn't have to go into the scruffy, unsafe city centre unless they really had to. Maybe then the council would clean the ruddy place up.

Such a shame, A big city like this and the centre is full of junkies, drunks and rubbish floating all over the place.:gag:

if you want an out of town market go to Crystal Peaks...

I think the whole castle idea is a joke really. I can't imagine there's much to see.

Having said that, I'm all for regenerating the area with offices and using part of that land for a park. But will it really attract the jobs needed to fill the offices?

Almost 10 years ago there was a master plan but as we know the world is a different place now.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/planning-documents/background-reports/city-centre-masterplans-and-reports/castlegate-masterplan.html

Found the latest version https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/regeneration/castlegate-regeneration.html

Edited by Blackbeard

That load of codswallop says that the stone sniffers are going to restore the remains.

The problem being that they have to actually find some.

The thread is supposed to be about the new Moor Mall.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 19:19 ----------

Thought a new thread would be in order given the ones on the go are about the closure of the OLD one.

Well its been open what, an hour? Anyone been in yet?

So what do you think now that the Market has been up and running for approx 18 months;)

Edited by cuttsie
New?

Would the market fairer any better if it had stopped at Castle Market I used to shop in their regularly I seem to remember the lower floors had empty units and some of upper levels had too. So clearly it was struggling even then the Moor Market is better yes some will argue to hell freeze's over that its in the wrong place but Haymarket is run down the Moor is not and given time will get better .

Would the market fairer any better if it had stopped at Castle Market I used to shop in their regularly I seem to remember the lower floors had empty units and some of upper levels had too. So clearly it was struggling even then the Moor Market is better yes some will argue to hell freeze's over that its in the wrong place but Haymarket is run down the Moor is not and given time will get better .

Why would Town Planners allow a traditional Market area to descend into the run down situation that you describe ? Could the answer be that they have sold us down the river by borrowing millions from Scottish Widows [money lenders] so as to enhance another area namely The Moor.

In other words ruin Sheffield's most historic trading area so as to apiece the owners of the Moor.

Yes I understand you point of view perhaps if the council had maintained the market better things might have turned out better. But that didn't happen Castle Market is history like it or not perhaps its a fools quest to find if any thing remains of the fabled castle time will tell. Give the Moor Market a chance regardless of the owner its the stallholders who make the market not the building.

Yes I understand you point of view perhaps if the council had maintained the market better things might have turned out better. But that didn't happen Castle Market is history like it or not perhaps its a fools quest to find if any thing remains of the fabled castle time will tell. Give the Moor Market a chance regardless of the owner its the stallholders who make the market not the building.

I will go along with that

Its early days the old markets were in a dreadful state and the area looked worse every time I was down there.

The Moor market has its issues but its early days and I think in time it will be successful particularly with the development nearby non of which appeared to be happening near the old site.

• 1 month later...