The New Moor Market

Will Sheffield ever be as good as Doncaster market, it has been voted the best market in the country in 2015 as well.

outdoor markets are what attract people, not the communist style market block at the bottom of the moor.

http://www.visitdoncaster.co.uk/shopping/Doncastermarket.asp

No. Sheffield council cannot justify buying a plot of land in the city centre and only using it to it's full potential three days a week charging low rents as they do in Doncaster. There is significantly more economic activity in Sheffield in terms of offices and the population is much denser in the centre and surrounding areas, making land and building in Sheffield far more expensive. You could develop a similar facility outside Sheffield city centre but Doncaster isn't exactly very far away.

Doncaster market is on the edge of Doncaster town centre, what a wonderful place in and around the wicker would be to have an outdoor market, instead of the filth we have there now.

even the outdoor market in Rotherham attracts one hell of a lot of people.

I was under the impression that the done thing was to answer the post ,not attack the poster.

As to your high end shops,big names,big brands, nice apartments etc then take a walk around Barnsley, Doncaster and Chesterfield all traditional Market areas and all thriving due to those traditional places.

If you think that Sheffield will ever rival Manchester ,Leeds etc then you are dreaming .

So I hope I have answered your post in a civilised and constructive manner reciprocation would be appreciated .

I am not attacking you. I am setting you straight as you well know. Your response to anything to do with the Market is "council's fault" Your response to anyone who has a different opinion as you is "it was a traditional trading area" Your response to anyone who suggests that the market was in a poor state and needed to be flattened is "la la not listening to you"

I certainly don't want to compare Sheffield (a major city) to the small towns of Barnsley, Chesterfield and Doncaster. Its not even in the same league.

Incidentally, Barnsley market is much more quiet than you seem to make out with dozens of empty units in its main building and surrounding compound. Doncaster has seen losses in trade since the opening of the more expanded and modernised Frenchgate.

Have you also failed to concede the point that all three of your market examples are right in the middle of the main shopping precincts. Unlike Castle Market. See the point?? Nobody was making an effort to walk to the decaying mass that was Castle Market when the shops were at the other end of town.

You bang on traditional areas all the time - but why are not understanding that cities evolve. Their needs change. People and business has to change with it. Are you saying that perhaps it should have been the Moor that all closed down and moved to Haymarket instead? Maybe John Lewis should move to park Square to keep your precious market intact eh?

Why do you never concede the point that you are on your own on this retention of Castle Market. Where was the flood of applications to protect it. Where were the press campaigns, where were the traders protesting about being moved on, where were the crowds of Sheffielders crying over the loss of their historic trading area??

You are the one who is dreaming. I have never said anything about Leeds or Manchester. I don't have such envy over what other cities have. What I am conscious of though is getting the city centre retail in line with the modern day condition it should be.

Im not talking about Harvey Nichols or any such guff, Im talking about getting the shopping areas into ONE AREA. That's what the majority want. That's what the majority are expecting. That's what the majority will get.

Now, that constructive enough for you?

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 21:54 ----------

Some people will think i am exaggerating but this is true.

in the sixties sheffield boasted that there was only one city with more shops in the city and that was London.

Also there was only one Town/city which had more Christmas decoration and lights and that was Blackpool

Just to clarify statment one the shops (i mean proper shops) ran from before the wicker arches right down to the bottom of the more, not to mention London and Abbydale road.

What went wrong SCC

Rise in car ownership

Rise in people moving away from the city into suburbs

Changes in shopping habits

Changes in working habits

Popularity of superstores

Purchasing moving to "weekly shops"

Popularity of mail order

Development and subsequent popularity of internet shopping

New competition by way of bulk / discount retailers

Doncaster market is on the edge of Doncaster town centre, what a wonderful place in and around the wicker would be to have an outdoor market, instead of the filth we have there now.

even the outdoor market in Rotherham attracts one hell of a lot of people.

I think you'll need to go further out then that all the office buildings on the other side of the Don will make the wicker attractive for companies developing offices and flats one they are done filling in the gaps in very centre. Land owners are no mugs and won't be selling up cheaply.

I am not attacking you. I am setting you straight as you well know. Your response to anything to do with the Market is "council's fault" Your response to anyone who has a different opinion as you is "it was a traditional trading area" Your response to anyone who suggests that the market was in a poor state and needed to be flattened is "la la not listening to you"

I certainly don't want to compare Sheffield (a major city) to the small towns of Barnsley, Chesterfield and Doncaster. Its not even in the same league.

Incidentally, Barnsley market is much more quiet than you seem to make out with dozens of empty units in its main building and surrounding compound. Doncaster has seen losses in trade since the opening of the more expanded and modernised Frenchgate.

Have you also failed to concede the point that all three of your market examples are right in the middle of the main shopping precincts. Unlike Castle Market. See the point?? Nobody was making an effort to walk to the decaying mass that was Castle Market when the shops were at the other end of town.

You bang on traditional areas all the time - but why are not understanding that cities evolve. Their needs change. People and business has to change with it. Are you saying that perhaps it should have been the Moor that all closed down and moved to Haymarket instead? Maybe John Lewis should move to park Square to keep your precious market intact eh?

Why do you never concede the point that you are on your own on this retention of Castle Market. Where was the flood of applications to protect it. Where were the press campaigns, where were the traders protesting about being moved on, where were the crowds of Sheffielders crying over the loss of their historic trading area??

You are the one who is dreaming. I have never said anything about Leeds or Manchester. I don't have such envy over what other cities have. What I am conscious of though is getting the city centre retail in line with the modern day condition it should be.

Im not talking about Harvey Nichols or any such guff, Im talking about getting the shopping areas into ONE AREA. That's what the majority want. That's what the majority are expecting. That's what the majority will get.

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 21:54 ----------

Rise in car ownership

Rise in people moving away from the city into suburbs

Changes in shopping habits

Changes in working habits

Popularity of superstores

Purchasing moving to "weekly shops"

Popularity of mail order

Development and subsequent popularity of internet shopping

New competition by way of bulk / discount retailers

One wonders why such places as Manchester and others have plenty of outdoor markets?

Why do you bother? He's been singing the same tune for years, he'll take it with him when they put him in his box. He can't accept its gone and isn't coming back. Even if he got a gold plated, hand written apology he'd just crow about how right he was. We're stuck with him tediously and endlessly droning on forever and ever

:

Why do you bother? He's been singing the same tune for years, he'll take it with him when they put him in his box. He can't accept its gone and isn't coming back. Even if he got a gold plated, hand written apology he'd just crow about how right he was. We're stuck with him tediously and endlessly droning on forever and ever

But I am right;)

Sheffield has a Market Town is finished as the rush to be considered the equal of other major retail city's takes its inevitable course.

This policy will fail as we are the biggest village in England and no amount of trying to be a big hitter will work.

Newsflash.

We are a big hitter.

We are still in the top 10 of cities for business locations.

We have an local economy of an estimated £7 Billion.

We have 2 large universities, bringing in an additional income of around £120 million from their private students

We have a major technical research programme, major banking, government departments, legal, and IT corporations based here.

We still have a significant presence of large manufacturing based here.

The expanding Advanced Manufacturing development created just under 2000 new jobs so far.....

Would you like me to go on?

Why don't you start getting behind this city you live in rather than looking to put downs all the time.

Newsflash.

We are a big hitter.

We are still in the top 10 of cities for business locations.

We have an local economy of an estimated £7 Billion.

We have 2 large universities, bringing in an additional income of around £120 million from their private students

We have a major technical research programme, major banking, government departments, legal, and IT corporations based here.

We still have a significant presence of large manufacturing based here.

The expanding Advanced Manufacturing development created just under 2000 new jobs so far.....

Would you like me to go on?

Why don't you start getting behind this city you live in rather than looking to put downs all the time.

I agree with all that.

So why destroy the Market area.