The New Moor Market

So what would you prefer? Something had to be done that's clear.

Leave the rotting corpse of castle market and their handful of customers?

Have no market at all?

Or attempt to create a brand new modern retail block in the right location which has now attracted new tenants and is a key part of the overall improvements to the area?

Or the other alternative that you missed which is set up a small day trader market with a few permanent shop and cafes around the edges rather like they do in Bakewell or Chesterfield. Allow the market traders to work pitches that don't cost them £30 grand each year and have a market that doesn't require the council tax payers to fork out £18,000,000 that we will never see again.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 16:37 ----------

This is a big reason why its failing. I know sooo many people who pass by it on the way home from work and would love to grab some fresh food but are unable to since it closes at 5pm. Instead they go to the Sainsburys, Waitrose, Aldi, Lidl and more due to their later opening hours

This is why those older markets flourish, and I also believe most of them are open air markets as well.

I never understood the concept of building a huge expensive market building where market traders have larger overheads than the supermarkets that they are trying to compete against.

That's a shame. I'd often buy sausages and goat off them. Have they closed or are they just down at the continental market for the day?

The goat meat stall was still empty this morning, and there is no notice up to say that they have gone somewhere else so it must have closed.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 17:33 ----------

I shop at the market regularly - I go about three days a week.

I used to shop at Castle Market when I first moved to Sheffield eleven years ago and did so often for three years but then I stopped going as the quality and price if the fruit and veg was rubbish. Also, the area was increasingly attracting a lot of people that I didn't feel uncomfortable around. Nothing happened though.

Between stopping going to Castle Market and the New Moor Market opening, I shopped at Tesco and Sainsbury's. But I was getting sick of them for a variety of reasons.

Whilst I do a lot of my shopping at the new market, I get most fruit and veg from the greengrocers next door to Dempsey's as it's usually better quality.

The customer service is a criticism I have of the stall holders - some I wont go to because they are so rude!!!

Have you tried Bingham and Browne's fruit and veg stall in the market? I have always found their stuff to be of good quality. Can't say I have ever noticed the stallholders being rude.

Have you tried Bingham and Browne's fruit and veg stall in the market? I have always found their stuff to be of good quality. Can't say I have ever noticed the stallholders being rude.

The first fruit and veg stall you come to is appalling in quality and the staff there can be very rude. One of the women there shouted this at a customer; "you cant pick your own, its not self service you know."

If people come to the market and see that sort of attitude it does not give much hope for it surviving much longer.

Indeed.

Things only succeed in business if they are the cheapest or the best. At the moment the Moor Market is neither.

The way to succeed is actually to go upmarket/artisan and appeal to all the west Sheffielders, who are already driving nearby to Waitrose. Late night opening and more/free carparking would help it a lot

This should be its model: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/

The opening hours of Borough Market dosen't appear to cater for the

late shopper with the Friday opening 10am-6pm being the latest days closing. Other days closing at 5pm.

Barnsley Market is fully open, on 3 days only 8-30am -5pm

Chesterfield Market fully open on 3 days only 9am-4pm

Doncaster Market fully open on 3 only days opening hours not given

It would appear that late opening, is not a viable proposition,

if the opening days and hours of the above markets are anything to go by.

The opening hours of Borough Market dosen't appear to cater for the

late shopper with the Friday opening 10am-6pm being the latest days closing. Other days closing at 5pm.

Barnsley Market is fully open, on 3 days only 8-30am -5pm

Chesterfield Market fully open on 3 days only 9am-4pm

Doncaster Market fully open on 3 only days opening hours not given

It would appear that late opening, is not a viable proposition,

if the opening days and hours of the above markets are anything to go by.

And all three are very successful .

----------------

Hi Ricky, The shop your on about next to Dempsey,s is Sharps and you

are right to to shop there as there Fruit and veg is the best around the

bottom of the Moor. I buy certain things in the new market but the items

i mentioned is bought at sharps.

PS, Next time you shop at Sharps ask for a Portuguese Cabbage if you like

greens but dont over cook it, He or She will tell you in the shop best. :thumbsup:

I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried a lot of new fruits and vegetables since I started shopping there just over a year ago. As I can buy smaller portions of things, I'm less worried about wasting money if I don't like them.

I go two or three times a week.

The goat meat stall was still empty this morning, and there is no notice up to say that they have gone somewhere else so it must have closed.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 17:33 ----------

Is that the one with the swinging monkey above the entrance? If so, yes. I've bought a few things from them since the Moor Market opened. Quite good quality but not very good prices on most things.

On rude stall holders - it usually relates to them being on the phone whilst serving, throwing my change into my hand and not thanking me and chatting with fellow staff whilst serving me.

There are some lovely stall holders like The Nut Bar, News @Moor Market, Granneli's and the cheese counter that sells yogurts (forgotten their name) to name a few.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 19:45 ----------

The first fruit and veg stall you come to is appalling in quality and the staff there can be very rude. One of the women there shouted this at a customer; "you cant pick your own, its not self service you know."

If people come to the market and see that sort of attitude it does not give much hope for it surviving much longer.

Exactly!

The large lady was trying to serve three people at once when I last went there. She was giving three different amounts and I didn't know how much she wanted. I was buying a bunch of bananas.

The stall is called Fruit Fayre.

Part of Barnsley Market is in the process of being knocked down. Funny how a bit of demolition can be ignored unless it's the end of a thousands years etc.

The outside market has been moved to the main shopping street incorporating around 90 stalls.

As to demolition non at the moment on the main Market Hall so perhaps you can enlighten us as where the bulldozer is working???????.

The Market is due a refurb but will not be moving from its traditional area although it has only been there a mere 700 years.

Stop telling lies.

The outside market has been moved to the main shopping street incorporating around 90 stalls.

Stop telling lies.

90 stalls? I was there today and there are nowhere near 90 stalls in the pedestrianized bits. I doubt if there are half that number.

Stop telling lies.