The New Moor Market

They don't go that near if you have two large bags of shopping and you are not as young as you used to be. The buses were in much closer proximity to Castle Market or Castle House

but bus stops wrap around the whole proximity; which is about the same amount of distance at the markets.. bus stops went from the merchants delivery entrance all the way to the old yorkshire bank near the tram stops.

From the new market, you can either get buses from the main entrance (which goes from the costa coffee place to the merchants delivery entrance) or from the back, with wheelchair lift, that will take you to the stops near .plug.

This is about the same amount of distance you would have had to walk for a bus at the old market.

If market halls are dying it wasn't the brightest move by Sheffield council to spend £18 million building a new one.

It is not 18 million it is 60 million with the interest payable .

As happened at Don Valley we are in the hands of the money lenders.

I've only been in the new market once, it's rubbish. Why the hell they didn't refurbish Castle House and put it there I'll never know. It's a far more accessible location for people using buses and carrying shopping

Too expensive to spend money refurbishing Castle.

Why don't you go once more to the Moor Market?

I wasn't impressed on my first visit but went again and I've been going at least twice a week since December 2013. I don't like new places and things naturally so I know I have to give them a chance and actually try.

I quite like the market now.

What I didn't like was the layout - bit difficult to navigate.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 21:10 ----------

I wish people would open their eyes and realise how much of an embarrassment the Castle Market area is to Sheffield. It is an absolute eyesore and needs to be demolished as soon as possible.

When I first heard that the council were moving the market to the Moor - I wasn't supportive of the proposal as I didn't think it was the right area.

It's now been here for over a year and people complain still!

The council will never convince everyone but surely The Moor isn't an inconvenience to the majority?

Just been down to the Moor Market for the first time in a while - I haven't been overly impressed previously, as much to do with the location as the stalls.

But today, a much better experience. As well as the excellent Tissington's fish stall, we needed some fabric, and Grace's Fabric stall was both very good value, and a pleasure to visit. Grace (presumably the owner!) couldn't have been more helpful, I assume the stall came from the old market originally, as it was like being back in the Castle Market in happier times in the 80s.

We still won't be making weekly or regular trips to the market, but it's good to know that it's there for some of those occasional purchases. If you live locally though, i'm sure it offers pretty decent value against some of the other stores.

• 3 weeks later...

Called in today after work , I only had a tenner on me & wanted a few bits , so I thought "ooh , i'll get myself a little piece of fresh cod for my tea" ...... had a browse & it was 3rd fish selling stall as you walk down , they had about 10 or 12 pieces in the display , I asked for a small piece about £2 in money as I didn't have much ... the assistant weighed 1 piece £3.97 , then another £3.64 , I didn't have enough money & she wouldn't cut one or get a bigger piece from the fridges & cut some off that !

No wonder they are failing when they can't give the customer what they want , fair enough I wasn't going to make them millionaires but you would think they would be happy to cut any size the customer wanted , what a joke !!

Called in today after work , I only had a tenner on me & wanted a few bits , so I thought "ooh , i'll get myself a little piece of fresh cod for my tea" ...... had a browse & it was 3rd fish selling stall as you walk down , they had about 10 or 12 pieces in the display , I asked for a small piece about £2 in money as I didn't have much ... the assistant weighed 1 piece £3.97 , then another £3.64 , I didn't have enough money & she wouldn't cut one or get a bigger piece from the fridges & cut some off that !

No wonder they are failing when they can't give the customer what they want , fair enough I wasn't going to make them millionaires but you would think they would be happy to cut any size the customer wanted , what a joke !!

Suppose you'll be asking Tesco to pour you 1/4 a pint of milk next?

Suppose you'll be asking Tesco to pour you 1/4 a pint of milk next?

I suppose you are a millionaire ...... not everyone in the world can afford to buy half the catch of the atlantic ocean

I am pleased you are very affluent , that is not the case with many people & I hope you sad oik feel satisfied in your humble - or rather "millionaire" lifestyle , it must make ***** like you feel superior , knowing that you can ridicule folk so much

I hope "things" like you don't have a horrible accident on the way to checking your bank account

I suppose you are a millionaire ...... not everyone in the world can afford to buy half the catch of the atlantic ocean

I am pleased you are very affluent , that is not the case with many people & I hope you sad oik feel satisfied in your humble - or rather "millionaire" lifestyle , it must make ***** like you feel superior , knowing that you can ridicule folk so much

I hope "things" like you don't have a horrible accident on the way to checking your bank account

Those are some big words. Maybe you should put them into practice, and get a job that pays enough to buy some fish at the market :)

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 01:55 ----------

No, because you expect those kinds of restrictions in a supermarket.

Traditionally, actual markets have more flexibility.

Traditionally they might. Don't see your point.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 02:07 ----------

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11037115

Edited by steveholt