The New Moor Market

I get the dusting of the old market. It was tired.

However I look at Chesterfield, Beverley etc; other market towns smaller than Sheffield and I see their markets. Mostly outdoors..

I get the feeling that after demolishing the section of The Moor, that simply paving the area, erecting new outdoor stalls with a little better shelter than the ricketty old ones and maybe some decorative wall to fend off winds, might have been cheaper, added to the market "feel", been lower cost to stallholders and maybe been a success.

Am I the only person that thinks times have changed and markets are a thing of the past. The few good ones that remain will be busy with regular customers but once they "die out" will all markets disappear? Years ago I always made a beeline to the market in Crystal Peaks. I could not tell you what the market looks like now as I always bypass it. It's a shame though.

I get the dusting of the old market. It was tired.

However I look at Chesterfield, Beverley etc; other market towns smaller than Sheffield and I see their markets. Mostly outdoors..

I get the feeling that after demolishing the section of The Moor, that simply paving the area, erecting new outdoor stalls with a little better shelter than the ricketty old ones and maybe some decorative wall to fend off winds, might have been cheaper, added to the market "feel", been lower cost to stallholders and maybe been a success.

Yes, a market should be a romantic outdoor experience.

Am I the only person that thinks times have changed and markets are a thing of the past. The few good ones that remain will be busy with regular customers but once they "die out" will all markets disappear? Years ago I always made a beeline to the market in Crystal Peaks. I could not tell you what the market looks like now as I always bypass it. It's a shame though.

...Yes...:D

If there were better Shops around the Market then more people would come to Town,Why?no Roof as been put over the Moor seems odd,as any rain then people think whats the use of going to Market,when there is nothing oustanding to shop at,Primark next to Debenhams might help a bit