The New Moor Market

The marketing manager of market said they moved 2 years too soon. A 9 screen cinema and retail shops are planned 2017.

Hope the market can hang on.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 21:33 ----------

Pitch rent cuts been touted. True or not i dont know.

My Bold

Already bean done, the new market traders have had there rents cut by 50%

When the Tesco express opens in the unit next to the Market main entrance , selling fresher , better quality fruit and veg it could be another blow to the struggling Market . Tesco got planning permission from ...........Sheffield City Council .

Bloody typical. along with Poundland and Iceland another kick in the teeth for traders.

The marketing manager of market said they moved 2 years too soon. A 9 screen cinema and retail shops are planned 2017.

Hope the market can hang on.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 21:33 ----------

Pitch rent cuts been touted. True or not i dont know.

The solution now being touted is that Sainsburys will sell their express shop to tesco who intend incorporating a post office in,at the same time approx 75% of the market will be let to Sainsburys who will encourage more avant garde stall holders while keeping on the fish,fruit and butchery stalls on a franchise basis.

The tat stalls will be offered stalls up King Street.

When the Tesco express opens in the unit next to the Market main entrance , selling fresher , better quality fruit and veg it could be another blow to the struggling Market . Tesco got planning permission from ...........Sheffield City Council .

Sheffield City Council certainly moves in mysterious ways....

However, what makes you think Tesco fruit and veg will be fresher, better quality etc? Their fruit and veg will have been transported half way round the world.

Buy local if you can.

This is the first I've heard about this? How did you find out about this? I can't see anything about it on either Tesco or Sheffield CC websites?

Sheffield City Council certainly moves in mysterious ways....

However, what makes you think Tesco fruit and veg will be fresher, better quality etc? Their fruit and veg will have been transported half way round the world.

Buy local if you can.

i imagine tescos potatoes come from pretty much the same folk as a market trader and i'm unaware of anyone who grows bananas, oranges, lemons mangos, pineapples or pomegranates locally for sheffield market traders. you are aware of course that anyone selling fresh runner beans, tomatoes or raspberries in february isn't sourcing them in the uk

Edited by drummonds

So who is paying the loan [£60 million inc interest] that was taken out to build it?

£60 million?? Link please, cos all I can see online is £17.5 to 18 million.

I thought Scottish Widows had some hand in the market development?

Anyway, I was on the Moor on Saturday afternoon. It seemed very busy around the bottom end where the market and new shops are.

Edited by Bargepole23