The New Moor Market

The whole point was to boost trade at The Moor end of town, but it was silly to do the market first as its not a big enough draw.

They should have started at the top of The Moor and worked their way down. If they had moved the market last, then it would have had a much better chance, in my opinion.

If they had done that, the Castle Market would have been shut down long before the rest of the Moor was finished. Or no market traders left to move there.

Edited by bazjea

Which is why I said moving the market. In other words, keep Castle Market open until then.

I realise in reality there was a pretty huge problem, the investment to do the rest of The Moor was somehow withdrawn so they had to do the market first as its all they had the money for.

I never intended to imply that what needed to be done was necessarily what could be done.

Which is why I said moving the market. In other words, keep Castle Market open until then.

I realise in reality there was a pretty huge problem, the investment to do the rest of The Moor was somehow withdrawn so they had to do the market first as its all they had the money for.

I never intended to imply that what needed to be done was necessarily what could be done.

I think that moving the Markets is probably the biggest town planning mistake ever.

The council were forced to move the market because they had not maintained Castle Market properly, they only have themselves to blame.

It is more than likely that any maintenance on the Castle Market would have necessitated closing it and that would have caused as much of an uproar as the new Market has had to suffer. It is here to stay so stop all this complaining and get on with it and give it some support and don't walk up the Moor, catch a bus in Cumberland Street or Eyre Street.

It is more than likely that any maintenance on the Castle Market would have necessitated closing it and that would have caused as much of an uproar as the new Market has had to suffer. It is here to stay so stop all this complaining and get on with it and give it some support and don't walk up the Moor, catch a bus in Cumberland Street or Eyre Street.

I agree , all this talk about lack of transport is a myth , the council and the s.y.p.t.e arranged for bus routes to be altered to accommodate the Market , lots of bus'es stop outside the market , but a lot of people want free travel , I.e the freebee , it's not far to walk and there's plenty of transport , no excuse not to try it out .

I agree , all this talk about lack of transport is a myth , the council and the s.y.p.t.e arranged for bus routes to be altered to accommodate the Market , lots of bus'es stop outside the market , but a lot of people want free travel , I.e the freebee , it's not far to walk and there's plenty of transport , no excuse not to try it out .

But the stalls are half empty with more closing by the week:|

But the stalls are half empty with more closing by the week:|

Well perhaps the traders might want to try selling something that people actually want to buy. Maybe they could try offering a product which has a price, quality, uniqueness or service level different to your average supermarket or variety store. Maybe they could try offering opening hours, customer service, payment methods and general facilities which would enable us shoppers to use them outside of the usual 9.00 - 4.00 cash only nonsense.

You have to generate demand. You have to offer something that will attract shoppers away from their usual stores.

How much longer are they going to sit there offering NOTHING different to any other shop and simply blame the council.

The council have done their bit. They have built them a nice shiny new market hall. They have moved masses of their workers into a building right next to the new market. A whole new generation of footfall is right on their doorsteps. More footfall which WILL come in due course once the rest of the project is finished. In the meantime, look around. Hundreds of new student apartments have been built within a few minutes walk of the market. Students without cars. Students who need to shop local. Students with money in their pocket and a whole world of potential different tastes and demands.

Its the traders turn to pull their fingers out and start capturing these customers. Enough with the woe is me nonsense. Castle Market has gone. Let it die in peace. Get on with looking to the future.

The traders need to ask themselves. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with these students. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with those office workers each and every day. What are they offering that the market doesn't. What could the market offer that those stores cant.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Well perhaps the traders might want to try selling something that people actually want to buy. Maybe they could try offering a product which has a price, quality, uniqueness or service level different to your average supermarket or variety store. Maybe they could try offering opening hours, customer service, payment methods and general facilities which would enable us shoppers to use them outside of the usual 9.00 - 4.00 cash only nonsense.

You have to generate demand. You have to offer something that will attract shoppers away from their usual stores.

How much longer are they going to sit there offering NOTHING different to any other shop and simply blame the council.

The council have done their bit. They have built them a nice shiny new market hall. They have moved masses of their workers into a building right next to the new market. A whole new generation of footfall is right on their doorsteps. More footfall which WILL come in due course once the rest of the project is finished. In the meantime, look around. Hundreds of new student apartments have been built within a few minutes walk of the market. Students without cars. Students who need to shop local. Students with money in their pocket and a whole world of potential different tastes and demands.

Its the traders turn to pull their fingers out and start capturing these customers. Enough with the woe is me nonsense. Castle Market has gone. Let it die in peace. Get on with looking to the future.

The traders need to ask themselves. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with these students. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with those office workers each and every day. What are they offering that the market doesn't. What could the market offer that those stores cant.

Maybe, just maybe it is in the wrong place trying to cater for the wrong customer base, The Ecclesall Road type are not Market shoppers when it was in the old Market area the folk who used it used it to do their shopping every day. repeat customers.

Edited by timex