The New Moor Market

It's a good place to shop, in my opinion. It's not full and could be better, but no need for such negativity.

Exactly! Some of the few interesting shops in Sheffield city centre are in the market and all people can do is moan.

I use it for food shopping since the range of meat and fish is so much better than what is available at the supermarkets and you can compare between stalls to get the best quality and price.

Exactly! Some of the few interesting shops in Sheffield city centre are in the market and all people can do is moan.

I use it for food shopping since the range of meat and fish is so much better than what is available at the supermarkets and you can compare between stalls to get the best quality and price.

I thought the problem was that folk weren't shopping there.

To expand on this, I wandered round last week and there's some great new stalls for slightly more unusual, Xmas-type food and drink that I'll be getting presents from tomorrow. I agree, not to everyone's tastes, but there is:

- A new stall selling fruit wines and liqueurs

- A new stall selling pies, including Xmas pies

- A new stall selling fresh, stone-baked pizza (probably only good for a lunchtime really)

- A new stall selling cured meats, olives etc. from Spain/Portugal, as you say.

Combined with beer central for some unusual beers, it's a good place to shop, in my opinion. It's not full and could be better, but no need for such negativity.

Totally agree there's been an uptick with some good new stalls opening recently, we don't get to hear about the new traders on this forum just a constant repeat of pretty much the same complaints.

I thought the problem was that folk weren't shopping there.

the problem is that not enough people want what they are selling all the year round, niche artisan products sell for special occasions for the majority especially in sheffield, yes i love artisan meats and cheeses etc but wouldnt go to the Sheffield market to buy it.

as i said before to attract people it has to have something that attracts! ie the exterior even the market sign is 150 ft in the air and all you see from the ground is steps, badly designed badly thought out.

There's a great new delicatessen stall selling authentic produce from Spain and Portugal. Is that the sort of thing you mean? They sell Iberian ham, non-factory chorizo, morcilla, bacalhao, all sorts of beans, proper sardines, etc, etc.

It's stuff not available elsewhere. I hope it does well, but will Sheffield market shoppers go for that sort of stuff?

This is Sheffield!

Imported foreign muck, they will be selling Worcester Sauce next in the market.

This is Sheffield!

Imported foreign muck, they will be selling Worcester Sauce next in the market.

Don't worry, the market stall selling tripe and 'pig bag' is always the one with the longest queue.

Edited by Nagel

the problem is that not enough people want what they are selling all the year round, niche artisan products sell for special occasions for the majority especially in sheffield, yes i love artisan meats and cheeses etc but wouldnt go to the Sheffield market to buy it.

as i said before to attract people it has to have something that attracts! ie the exterior even the market sign is 150 ft in the air and all you see from the ground is steps, badly designed badly thought out.

I have asked before and got no answer but can anyone tell me why the fancy wooden architecture is on the side street ? you would have thought it would have been better placed over the entrance to the market

I have asked before and got no answer but can anyone tell me why the fancy wooden architecture is on the side street ? you would have thought it would have been better placed over the entrance to the market

It is over the entrance!!

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 14:52 ----------

Totally agree there's been an uptick with some good new stalls opening recently, we don't get to hear about the new traders on this forum just a constant repeat of pretty much the same complaints.

Totally true, you just get the same old repetitive moaning.