The New Moor Market

Wheres Cuttsie these days? If you are around. Happy Christmas and New year. Hope all is well.

In terms of the market a lot seems to be riding on the new Primark development and how many people it will draw onto the Moor.

As for how the market is doing, then it seems to be the same or on a slow decline. The right side (butchers) as you go in seems to be holding its own, its more the left side.

They were meant to be making some changes, but i havent really seen any. They still close earlier than any of the other shops.

It's true, I only go to the right hand side with the fresh produce. It's better quality meat and fish than what you can get outside the market.

I don't visit the other part selling non-food items, but that was the same on my very rare visits to Ye Olde Castle Market. I've already been to this market 50 times more than I ever went to the Castle Market bcause it's a lot easier to get to for me and less intimidating.

But there's one stall I really need to visit - the T shirt and hoody stall where all the clothing is printed with faces of Pit Bulls, Staffies and other weapon dogs. They also have a great Fantasy Dragons and Dolphins of course :thumbsup:

It was busy this morning. The meat & fish is better quality, fresher & cheaper than supermarkets. Wider variety too. The venison looked great on Barry's stall today.

I miss Castle Market, but most of the old stalls are at the new market & it's less soul destroying than Tesco.

It's open tomorrow too.

Edited by anywebsite

The meat & fish is better quality, fresher & cheaper than supermarkets.

Supermarkets have a quicker turnover so its doubtful that its fresher at the markets when they only buy once a week. A lot is also frozen and then defrosted for the following day. The quality is also doubtful because of the above and its not any cheaper.

Some stalls are also pre-packing meat products in trays and not labelling them with the weight or ingredients which pre-packed products require.

The only good point is that they do provide a greater range.

Supermarkets have a quicker turnover so its doubtful that its fresher at the markets when they only buy once a week. A lot is also frozen and then defrosted for the following day. The quality is also doubtful because of the above and its not any cheaper.

Some stalls are also pre-packing meat products in trays and not labelling them with the weight or ingredients which pre-packed products require.

Certainly the markets I know have someone who turns up with his gear in the morning and tries to sell it all during the day. What they don't sell they sell the following day. The supermarkets keep getting deliveries all the time.

I have to admit that I am wary of storing meat bought at the market for more than a day that's the one good thing about supermarket meat is you can have some reasonable confidence of when to use it by. However I wouldn't be confident with all supermarket meat that it has not been frozen and how old it really is. There is an opportunity for butchers to really emphasise the quality of their products and it's journey but no one seems to have taken that on at Sheffield market, it's the same people selling the same products.

Edited by smiggs

isnt some of the best meat hung for about three weeks, and all meat is hung for some length of time other wise its virtually inedible.

Hanging meat properly isn't the problem, it's freezing it overnight or displaying under lights for a number of days before sale that's the issue.

Speaking of meat...... "Pulled Pork" what a great idea eh?

Let's yank all the strands of meat apart, make it look bigger cos of all the air now in it, call it a silly name, and sell it in a sarni at an extortionate price.

It works for those who do it... (mentioning no names) :D