The New Moor Market

Sheffield busses cut city centre in half. When you travel from south/north or east west etc. etc. The buses often stop for a long pause, break or driver change at the city centre. These delays often take 5 to 15 minutes where it takes the same time to travel the last two stops as it took to travel the first 4 miles.

This often makes it feel like when something is in opposite side of city centre it is better to be avoided you don't feel welcome there it can take upto 30 min extra return for that little tiny two or three stop journey through town.

You're making things up.

It's a fair explanation of the vitriol that was spouted, but fundamentally unless you have mobility problems it's a 20 minutes walk between the old site and the new and surely if you're going into the city centre you have business to attend to elsewhere anyway.

It's a fair explanation of the vitriol that was spouted, but fundamentally unless you have mobility problems it's a 20 minutes walk between the old site and the new and surely if you're going into the city centre you have business to attend to elsewhere anyway.

The customer is king and they are going somewhere else whether or not you think they should.

It's a fair point, I can well believe a bus journey from the old Market site to the new could take 10 - 15 minutes, adding 30 minutes to a return trip.

I can appreciate that might explain why people north of town might not now travel down to the Moor, but what about the half of the city for whom the Castle Market was a '30 minute round-trip' further than the bottom of the Moor? Doesn't it work both ways, i.e. a lot of people are now closer to the market?

I can appreciate that might explain why people north of town might not now travel down to the Moor, but what about the half of the city for whom the Castle Market was a '30 minute round-trip' further than the bottom of the Moor? Doesn't it work both ways, i.e. a lot of people are now closer to the market?

I doubt residents of Dore, Totley, Bradway, Norton, Fulwood etc spend much time in the market.

They were already going somewhere else.

But the problem is that a good proportion of people who visited Castle Market were elderly and did so for its easy access and the shops around that area. Those people just shopped and didn't go into town on other business.

Ask yourself why Crystal Peaks is still popular.. Its because its easy to get to by tram, and just like Meadowhall it has lots of shops in a pleasant covered area.

Sheffield Market is great and if more people shop there it will get even better.

Another new stall I noticed yesterday was one selling sweets and confectionery from around the world.

I was pleased to see that they sell the 'Spunk' brand Danish salty liquorice pastilles. :thumbsup:

Salty pastilles called 'spunk'! :gag:

I find no character or atmosphere in the place. The old market although chaotic and untidy had it in bucketsful.!

True, Patricia, but it doesn't smell as bad as the old market!

But the problem is that a good proportion of people who visited Castle Market were elderly and did so for its easy access and the shops around that area. Those people just shopped and didn't go into town on other business.

Ask yourself why Crystal Peaks is still popular.. Its because its easy to get to by tram, and just like Meadowhall it has lots of shops in a pleasant covered area.

and free parking (when you can park that is)