The New Moor Market

I can appreciate that might explain why people north of town might not now travel down to the Moor, but what about the half of the city for whom the Castle Market was a '30 minute round-trip' further than the bottom of the Moor? Doesn't it work both ways, i.e. a lot of people are now closer to the market?

Most of these people were not really market customers. There is a north south class division in Sheffield. That is another reason why they way overspent on moor market. And now the prices have gone up to supermarket prices, it is not really a real market anymore.

A market used by lower class people has been build on upper class side of town made to look like some upper class fancy market.

You cannot put this market in upper class side of town, increase cost, prices and then cry that its real old loyal customers refuse to come and use it

What prices are the same as supermarket? Fish is great and generally a lot cheaper at the market, fruit and veg the same. Free parking, at staples for an hour, which is more than enough time. I don't buy much meat but what I have seen is cheaper.

People go on about soulless and lacking in character.. Get a grip! The majority of the old market was empty, just the food bit that really did any trade. The toilets were a disgrace, there was no parking, perhaps in the seventies / eighties it was a thriving hub of the community, it hasn't been that for a ling time.

What prices are the same as supermarket? Fish is great and generally a lot cheaper at the market, fruit and veg the same. Free parking, at staples for an hour, which is more than enough time. I don't buy much meat but what I have seen is cheaper.

You just need to go opposite to Sainsburys and compare their prices to see that there is little difference in price. I posted a comparison a while back so I'm not doing it again. As said, the market has one good point in that it has a better selection of most items be it fruit, veg, meat or fish.

People go on about soulless and lacking in character.. Get a grip! The majority of the old market was empty, just the food bit that really did any trade. The toilets were a disgrace, there was no parking, perhaps in the seventies / eighties it was a thriving hub of the community, it hasn't been that for a ling time.

I agree about the toilets but actually there was free parking at the car-park round the back if you took a receipt to show.

What people fail to answer is if the food stallholders are selling the same type of produce at the new market then why is the shopper foot-fall down compared to the old market? Something is causing it but people dont want to admit its probably because its in the wrong place.

Just to add.. I wish it was a success then at least the taxpayers of Sheffield would no be bailing out failing stallholders.

Edited by apelike

I never found any free parking at Castle market, the ramp was just for stall holders and the new multistory didn't offer free parking. where was it?

Footfall is less than they wanted but is it less than the old market? I've not seen figures. There was nothing else the where the old market was, so you had little choice but to go there is that is where your bus went or you have parked. Perhaps the other stalls and shops on the Moor are taking some of the trade and that can't easily be counted.

Most of these people were not really market customers. There is a north south class division in Sheffield. That is another reason why they way overspent on moor market. And now the prices have gone up to supermarket prices, it is not really a real market anymore.

A market used by lower class people has been build on upper class side of town made to look like some upper class fancy market.

You cannot put this market in upper class side of town, increase cost, prices and then cry that its real old loyal customers refuse to come and use it

I have to say, it's always been my suspicion that actually SCC wanted to 'encourage' some kind of transition to a slightly more upmarket market; less of the traditional fruit & veg kind of market, more of the pulled-pork and art/craft markets. A bit like the Peddler Market scene, but more permanent. Leaves a pretty big hole for those that actually did use it for grocery shopping, mind.

I was playing devil's advocate somewhat with the closer-to-the-south-west customers point, but it's still valid for a lot of people.

I have to say, it's always been my suspicion that actually SCC wanted to 'encourage' some kind of transition to a slightly more upmarket market; less of the traditional fruit & veg kind of market, more of the pulled-pork and art/craft markets. A bit like the Peddler Market scene, but more permanent. Leaves a pretty big hole for those that actually did use it for grocery shopping, mind.

I was playing devil's advocate somewhat with the closer-to-the-south-west customers point, but it's still valid for a lot of people.

Except the market was dying anyway because peoples shopping habits have changed since the 70s. If the market stall holders arent making money then they have to rethink about what they sell and whether its what people want. The problem is mucch less the food side and more to do with the non food stalls.

Next year the primark deelopment should drag a lot more people onto the moor and then they will be able to see what impact it has.

The new Moor market is on the 'upper class side of town' - since when is the bottom of the Moor the upper class side of the town???

The new Moor market is on the 'upper class side of town' - since when is the bottom of the Moor the upper class side of the town???

Yeah, London Road is just so "up and coming" nowadays.

People in one breath slag off The Moor for being full of methadone fueled chavs then turn round and claim it's "upper class".