The New Moor Market

What exactly do the people who slag if off say it is missing? I buy all the same things that I did from the old market, just in a cleaner environment. The massive rise in pound shops will have impacted heavily on the tat and cleaning / household product stalls but that goes for all markets everywhere.

they don't, they just moan endlessly

What exactly do the people who slag if off say it is missing? I buy all the same things that I did from the old market, just in a cleaner environment. The massive rise in pound shops will have impacted heavily on the tat and cleaning / household product stalls but that goes for all markets everywhere.

Do you go to Barnsley and/or Doncaster market as well then?

We buy vacuum cleaner bags from the "outdoor market stall" on the moor.

Edited by dutch

It certainly was in the last 20-25 years of its life, but that's what happens when something gets starved of maintenance and investment while subsequent councils faff about making plans to move it.

Opening any new market in the current climate is a challenge so you have to stack things in its favour. Opening it in a non-central location away from the tram route and only having stalls selling barely desirable things you can get in countless other places was insanity. If it can hold on until the new buildings are open (next year?) it might stand a chance but its future looks grim.

Isn't there a problem though with that. By the time the Moor gets redeveloped market shoppers from the old market will have got out of the habit of market shopping.

If the old market had been renovated a bit at a time it might have had a chance. Moving it to a new location where there were lots of other attraction might have been OK in the short term, but moving the whole thing to an area where there wasn't much to draw you in was likely to fail.

I fear the stock in trade of the market has moved elsewhere. Getting them back is far more of a challenge than retaining them in the first place.

they don't, they just moan endlessly

People do moan but are they right, The old Market was part of a Sheffield tradition that included an established area used by generations of Sheffield folk.

It will take many years to establish that feeling down at the new location if ever.

Isn't there a problem though with that. By the time the Moor gets redeveloped market shoppers from the old market will have got out of the habit of market shopping.

If the old market had been renovated a bit at a time it might have had a chance. Moving it to a new location where there were lots of other attraction might have been OK in the short term, but moving the whole thing to an area where there wasn't much to draw you in was likely to fail.

I fear the stock in trade of the market has moved elsewhere. Getting them back is far more of a challenge than retaining them in the first place.

Yes. I agree with all your points. For the last two decades right up to the present date the management of the "the market" has been a shambles.

It's missing customers for a number of reasons, whether it be location, changing shopping habits, convenience, opening times, parking issues or nostalgia.

It's missing customers for a number of reasons, whether it be location, changing shopping habits, convenience, opening times, parking issues or nostalgia.

The Market needs to attract new customers, not waste time trying to win back the people who just want a tat bazaar.

New customers who don't just want cheap, thats what the pound shops are for, but new customers who want something different that they cant get anywhere else.

Beer Central is exactly the kind of place the new market needs more of, I wonder if it would have been as successful in the markets pervious location? I would suggest not.

The new markets need to move away from the penny pinching and blue rinse brigades and cater for those who have more disposable income.