The New Moor Market

What are these new buildings?

The one currently under construction next to Debenhams, which most importantly will house the new Primark (this will be a major shift in Sheffield's retail 'centre of gravity' moving Primark), but also a few other new retail units. It will have a cinema and restaurants etc. but I can only see those prividing a pretty limited direct increase in footfall at the Market. The Primark is the bigger factor.

Also, the ones opposite Debenhams at Moorhead are due to be replaced too.

Isnt Hallam one of the richest wards?

Go to things like the Pedlars Market or the markets on Sharrowvale or in Netheredge and you can hardly move, there is plenty of money and disposable income in Sheffield.

Sharrow street market is four times a year - put it on over 300 times a year and the novelty would wane and the attendances would not be maintained.

Edited by BoroB

It certainly was in the last 20-25 years of its life, but that's what happens when something gets starved of maintenance and investment while subsequent councils faff about making plans to move it.

Opening any new market in the current climate is a challenge so you have to stack things in its favour. Opening it in a non-central location away from the tram route and only having stalls selling barely desirable things you can get in countless other places was insanity. If it can hold on until the new buildings are open (next year?) it might stand a chance but its future looks grim.

It is food that I think should be the priority with a market and that is not only desirable, we can't manage without it. I have always found meat, fish and vegetables from the market are far superior to what you can buy in a supermarket.

I think it ought to have encompassed the old and the new - the traditional fruit veg and meat market and something a bit different. I agree with others who say there is so much that you could get elsewhere, I have walked through several times but never felt inclined to buy anything.

The difference comes from the traders the council can't force new traders to start up, there are a few new stalls that have appeared in the new market that weren't in the old. You can now buy beer, wine and spirits, bubble tea, Chinese takeaway food, takeaway pizza and there's a European deli. We've also had a few shops open up trying something new and closing or moving on (organic veg, fresh coffee beans, baking supplies, takeaway carribean food). I think it's slowly coming together but there's more old traders than there is new.

It wasn't really working before though was it. The rent was MASSIVELY subsidised because the place was a bloody disgrace. THAT was the only reason any of the stalls were still there as far as I could tell.

The lower floor was almost deserted, there were a couple of grotty cafes and a phone shop on the side entrance area, people pretty much had to walk past all the non food stalls to get to the food stalls. The same stalls are in the new market. Clothes, a pet shop, house hold items, a bakers, card shop, the Nut stall, reject confectionery and a selection of meat, fish and veg stalls. We just have a bit more variety now. The Olive stall for example and beer shop.

I think the council will need to keep rent reductions in place until the Moor is sorted to make it work, if they can accept that, and perhaps 30 mins free parking in the adjacent car park then I think it could still do well.

Less people smoking weed outside the door now and not quite so many brainless morons stood smoking fags while screaming obscenities at their various kids they don't appear to want. I guess that's who your missing.

Hahaha. The council subsidises the stalls for the new moor market more than it ever has done so at castle market. Do you expect market to be busy every minute it is open then? There were certain times it was very busy there.

I don't know what dodgy places you travel. But in the 20 years I live in Sheffield I have never smelled any weed being smoked in normal public places, including the old market.

Calling others brainless morons says a lot more about your own lack of understanding of how this society rejects certain people. Many of them could probably not even afford to heat their house on a cold winter evening even if they worked 40 hr week on a so called living wage.

Hahaha. The council subsidises the stalls for the new moor market more than it ever has done so at castle market. Do you expect market to be busy every minute it is open then? There were certain times it was very busy there.

I don't know what dodgy places you travel. But in the 20 years I live in Sheffield I have never smelled any weed being smoked in normal public places, including the old market.

Calling others brainless morons says a lot more about your own lack of understanding of how this society rejects certain people. Many of them could probably not even afford to heat their house on a cold winter evening even if they worked 40 hr week on a so called living wage.

When did I ever say the market should always be busy? I'm on about the lack of stalls, not customers. And what are the rent subsidies now compared to the 30-50% they got off at Castle market?

You either don't get out much, have no sense of smell or don't know what weed smells like.

So because you either don't work or are on a low wage makes it OK to shout and scream obscenities at your kids? Aww, it's OK though, they must be feeling rejected by society...

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

When did I ever say the market should always be busy? I'm on about the lack of stalls, not customers. And what are the rent subsidies now compared to the 30-50% they got off at Castle market?

You either don't get out much, have no sense of smell or don't know what weed smells like.

So because you either don't work or are on a low wage makes it OK to shout and scream obscenities at your kids? Aww, it's OK though, they must be feeling rejected by society...

The old market had to go, it was unavoidable. I don't know exactly how much they used to be subsidised before but I do know that all of a sudden these subsidies became a problem at the new moor market while they were never mentioned at the old one.

If you don't understand why certain people scream and shout then it is fair enough to say you don't get or understand that instead of calling them names. I assure you it is not intentional or their fault that they have become like that, therefore it is very wrong to use dirty nasty language, it will only make them shout louder and get nastier to their kids.

In other words people who give them nasty labels are contributing to the problem in the first place making them the way they are.

The difference comes from the traders the council can't force new traders to start up, there are a few new stalls that have appeared in the new market that weren't in the old. You can now buy beer, wine and spirits, bubble tea, Chinese takeaway food, takeaway pizza and there's a European deli. We've also had a few shops open up trying something new and closing or moving on (organic veg, fresh coffee beans, baking supplies, takeaway carribean food). I think it's slowly coming together but there's more old traders than there is new.

But for sake of argument, how much would a bottle of Sheffield brewed Kelham Island Pale Rider (Supreme Champion Beer of Britain according to the label) cost you in the market?

I just bought 4 for a fiver in ASDA whilst parking for free, stocking up on everything I need for Christmas including some decorating supplies (all in one shopping trolley & one paypoint), and buying petrol on site at under a pound a litre. All without having to attempt to drive into the town centre.

But for sake of argument, how much would a bottle of Sheffield brewed Kelham Island Pale Rider (Supreme Champion Beer of Britain according to the label) cost you in the market?

I just bought 4 for a fiver in ASDA whilst parking for free, stocking up on everything I need for Christmas including some decorating supplies (all in one shopping trolley & one paypoint), and buying petrol on site at under a pound a litre. All without having to attempt to drive into the town centre.

Pale Rider would be one of the worst beers to buy from beer central, both in terms of price and quality. They sell loads of stuff that is vastly superior to anything available in any supermarket.