The New Moor Market

But for sake of argument, how much would a bottle of Sheffield brewed Kelham Island Pale Rider (Supreme Champion Beer of Britain according to the label) cost you in the market?

I just bought 4 for a fiver in ASDA whilst parking for free, stocking up on everything I need for Christmas including some decorating supplies (all in one shopping trolley & one paypoint), and buying petrol on site at under a pound a litre. All without having to attempt to drive into the town centre.

I have no idea. The beer shop is an artisan beer shop not a value beer shop you go there to get something different not something good value. Taking Kelham Island as an example they stock the brewery's whole range not just Pale Rider.

The old market had to go, it was unavoidable. I don't know exactly how much they used to be subsidised before but I do know that all of a sudden these subsidies became a problem at the new moor market while they were never mentioned at the old one.

If you don't understand why certain people scream and shout then it is fair enough to say you don't get or understand that instead of calling them names. I assure you it is not intentional or their fault that they have become like that, therefore it is very wrong to use dirty nasty language, it will only make them shout louder and get nastier to their kids.

In other words people who give them nasty labels are contributing to the problem in the first place making them the way they are.

In your previous post you said that the council subsidised the new market more than it ever used to, yet here you say you don't know what the subsidies are?

So which is it??

OK, well at least there are less of the lovely people that shout and scream obscenities at their children at the new market. Better?

But for sake of argument, how much would a bottle of Sheffield brewed Kelham Island Pale Rider (Supreme Champion Beer of Britain according to the label) cost you in the market?

I just bought 4 for a fiver in ASDA whilst parking for free, stocking up on everything I need for Christmas including some decorating supplies (all in one shopping trolley & one paypoint), and buying petrol on site at under a pound a litre. All without having to attempt to drive into the town centre.

You'd probably still be looking for somewhere to park if you'd to market by car.

And then you'd have to call somewhere else to finish your shop.

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 13:50 ----------

Pale Rider would be one of the worst beers to buy from beer central, both in terms of price and quality. They sell loads of stuff that is vastly superior to anything available in any supermarket.

And with the sound of it some that is equal quality and overpriced when compared to supermarkets.

I have no idea. The beer shop is an artisan beer shop not a value beer shop you go there to get something different not something good value. Taking Kelham Island as an example they stock the brewery's whole range not just Pale Rider.

Pale Rider would be one of the worst beers to buy from beer central, both in terms of price and quality. They sell loads of stuff that is vastly superior to anything available in any supermarket.

I doubt that very much. Why would Pale Rider be lower quality if bought from ASDA than from Beer Central. And why would it win CAMRA's Supreme Champion Beer award if it were low quality?

Just because beer has a funny name & comes from a micro doesn't mean it is better quality. Beers like Jaipur, Pale Rider, Landlord have stood the test of time. Much of the beer from the small micros is badly bottled, full of sediment and not well crafted. It is trial and error.

I dropped into Mitchells at Meadowhead a couple of weeks ago and they were flogging off Wood Street Brewery products at 99p/bottle. I've found Acorn & Wentworth beers at the same price. There was a guy on the Moor the other day asking £3.50 for the same bottles I'd bought at 99p.

Just as a matter of interest who brews these beers that are vastly superior to anything brewed in Sheffield?

Edited by foxy lady

In your previous post you said that the council subsidised the new market more than it ever used to, yet here you say you don't know what the subsidies are?

So which is it??

OK, well at least there are less of the lovely people that shout and scream obscenities at their children at the new market. Better?

I don't have access to the exact figures but am certain the council started crying about subsidies after moor market opened, not before.

With all my respect.

It is not nice to see the more painful dark sides of society openly displayed. It can wake up painful feelings and emotions, reactions. Become a conscious master of these emotions and no one will ever hurt you again no matter how nasty they are to their children.

I don't have access to the exact figures but am certain the council started crying about subsidies after moor market opened, not before.

With all my respect.

It is not nice to see the more painful dark sides of society openly displayed. It can wake up painful feelings and emotions, reactions. Become a conscious master of these emotions and no one will ever hurt you again no matter how nasty they are to their children.

http://beta.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28123039

Sheffield Council said about one third of Castle Market's 90 traders made the move.

Traders were initially given free rent until May but this has recently been extended until August.

Now of the 190 stalls at the Moor Market, 162 (85%) are let and 29 (15%) are empty.

I doubt that very much. Why would Pale Rider be lower quality if bought from ASDA than from Beer Central. And why would it win CAMRA's Supreme Champion Beer award if it were low quality?

Just because beer has a funny name & comes from a micro doesn't mean it is better quality. Beers like Jaipur, Pale Rider, Landlord have stood the test of time. Much of the beer from the small micros is badly bottled, full of sediment and not well crafted. It is trial and error.

I dropped into Mitchells at Meadowhead a couple of weeks ago and they were flogging off Wood Street Brewery products at 99p/bottle. I've found Acorn & Wentworth beers at the same price. There was a guy on the Moor the other day asking £3.50 for the same bottles I'd bought at 99p.

Just as a matter of interest who brews these beers that are vastly superior to anything brewed in Sheffield?

We've had this discussion before, you may not like beer from smaller breweries but it is a growing trend in beer consumption worldwide. Beer Central is the only shop in Sheffield city centre exploiting this market but there are competitors on Abbeydale Road and Walkley. It doesn't really matter if it's to your taste or not it's a successful and award winning shop in the market that brings people to the market. For me this and the coffee stall at the front of the market are the only real standout successes of the new traders, we need to celebrate their innovation and salesmanship not belittling their products.

We've had this discussion before, you may not like beer from smaller breweries but it is a growing trend in beer consumption worldwide. Beer Central is the only shop in Sheffield city centre exploiting this market but there are competitors on Abbeydale Road and Walkley. It doesn't really matter if it's to your taste or not it's a successful and award winning shop in the market that brings people to the market. For me this and the coffee stall at the front of the market are the only real standout successes of the new traders, we need to celebrate their innovation and salesmanship not belittling their products.

Unfortunately Beer Central on its own, as successful as it may be, will not make the market viable.