The New Moor Market

the local butcher and greengrocer have either gone bust or just thrown the towel in due the proliferation of supermarkets in S20 taking all their trade

I'm not surprised if the quality of meat, fish, fruit and vegatables is the same as our local shops have to offer, and I have found it no better at supermarkets, hence I use the Moor Markets.

Well if all you are doing is popping out for a few items that you could carry to a car parked in Staples car park, then there isn't much point making the journey to the market.

If all you want is fresh meat, fish and vegetables, there are far better places than the market and they are far more convenient. Whirlow Hall Farm springs to mind, but there are plently of others.

All I'm getting out of this is Sheffield Market is OK for odd bits and bobs if you work within a few hundred metres, but if you need to take the car it's not worth the effort.

I don't know anywhere in Sheffield that is as good as the market for fish. I'd be interested to know where. There's Manns on Sharrow Vale Road which has good fish, but it's expensive. There's another on Church Parade on Ecclesall Road South. Again good quality, but quite pricey. The best selection is definitely the market and the prices are good.

Decent butchers are hard to find in Sheffield too. There's one in Oughtibridge that has its own abattoir and ages the meat properly, but it's too far for me to travel to.

Whirlow Hall Farm is close to me, but they only have a small selection and it's pricey.

---------- Post added 31-12-2015 at 16:01 ----------

As far as prices are concerned there is hardly any difference between stalls and the quality is about the same, also so there is not much true competition between them. The 3 main large veg stalls also offer the same goods at the same prices and by the look of some items sold its not grade A or good quality either.

I find definite differences in price and quality between the meat and fish stalls and have my favourites.

As for the veg stalls, I'm not so impressed with them. They often sell second quality stuff just so they can sell it cheap.

I don't know anywhere in Sheffield that is as good as the market for fish. I'd be interested to know where. There's Manns on Sharrow Vale Road which has good fish, but it's expensive. There's another on Church Parade on Ecclesall Road South. Again good quality, but quite pricey. The best selection is definitely the market and the prices are good.

Decent butchers are hard to find in Sheffield too. There's one in Oughtibridge that has its own abattoir and ages the meat properly, but it's too far for me to travel to.

Whirlow Hall Farm is close to me, but they only have a small selection and it's pricey.

---------- Post added 31-12-2015 at 16:01 ----------

I find definite differences in price and quality between the meat and fish stalls and have my favourites.

As for the veg stalls, I'm not so impressed with them. They often sell second quality stuff just so they can sell it cheap.

My opinion of the quality of produce from the market is very mixed. When I bought strawberries and raspberries they looked great. But when I got them home they were rubbish with good fruit on top hiding the cack.

I could find a dozen butchers around South Sheffield where I would prefer to buy meat. Liberty Foods, Bradway Meats, Ryalls, Keith Drake, Steves, Heather Hill, Sidalls, Gaunts, Wards, Batty's, Roney's. I even buy meat at Makro which I find offers good roasting joints.

I don't buy much fish from shops as I can get it delivered fresh from Scotland anyhow, but I buy lobsters and crabs from Makro and they don't disappoint.

My opinion of the quality of produce from the market is very mixed. When I bought strawberries and raspberries they looked great. But when I got them home they were rubbish with good fruit on top hiding the cack.

I could find a dozen butchers around South Sheffield where I would prefer to buy meat. Liberty Foods, Bradway Meats, Ryalls, Keith Drake, Steves, Heather Hill, Sidalls, Gaunts, Wards, Batty's, Roney's. I even buy meat at Makro which I find offers good roasting joints.

I don't buy much fish from shops as I can get it delivered fresh from Scotland anyhow, but I buy lobsters and crabs from Makro and they don't disappoint.

It's been said a number of times in the thread. It is the traders who will make the market a success no one should use them as part of a guilt trip other small businesses deserve your support as much as the market traders. There's a growing population in Sheffield city centre and plenty of people who work there so it's not as if they are short of people to sell to.

I have used the butcher in Makro (when in Booker as well before Booker bought Makro) for over 20 years. Never had a problem. Always get Christmas meat and any family BBQ's we have in the summer.

Hardly prime space!!! More like nightmare space have you seen the decline in the area!!. It's make a great pound shop for the locals. Doubt it would be a big food shop since the down tune they hardly have big shops now and would have to be in a good area which darnal certainly isn't

no there isnt free parking at Staples??, its illegal parking, whats your feeling on empty disabled bays?? fair game??

No, I don't park in disabled spaces.

Under what law is parking at Staples illegal?