The New Moor Market

Went down at lunchtime and I totally agree with DC1990. The bottlenecks are really difficult to negotiate, what with body mass compounded by shopping trollies and backpacks. But then, you walk into relatively empty space (still with good stalls/ shops). I like the building very much, and hope it will work out. I thought there was a good atmosphere too, which might be down to novelty: I never noticed it at Waingate!

The queues at one of the butchers stalls today was so big it had to double back on itself which severely hampered the people trying to get past. I agree with DC1990 as well, the outer "ring" near the meat and fish is rammed full whilst the middle is practically empty.

I can't help wondering about the new market and whether it has been thought through. Sure it is crowded at the moment. That is because there is a novelty of the new building, but also because it is far smaller.

However long term it does have a few major disadvantages over the shabby old market. Castle Market was a 1 minute walk from Supertram and a 5 minute walk from Sheffield's main bus station. The same cannot be said of the new market.

I wonder if it will still be busy when the novelty has worn off and the snow has arrived.

I am a fan of the market in Chesterfield. It is pretty accessible and is surrounded by decent pubs, cafes and coffee shops where you can take a break away from the market itself.

The positioning of a new building will never suit everyone. Sheffield city centre has always been awkward.

But the freebee, plus bus routes like 75, 98 etc will take you past the old cm via High St to the new, so I really don't see the problem

The positioning of a new building will never suit everyone. Sheffield city centre has always been awkward.

But the freebee, plus bus routes like 75, 98 etc will take you past the old cm via High St to the new, so I really don't see the problem

I suppose it isn't a problem if your hobby is standing at bus stops to change routes.

It has the same number of stalls as CM. It is meant to be the same size. A lot of CM was closed down.

There are at least ten bus routes including freebe that stop right outside the market.

There is a larger population within walking distance, greater footfall and they have more money to spend. Whether it is a success has more to do with the stalls inside and them selling what people want. One thing for sure is that CM was negelected and in decline.

There are more decent cafes, coffee shops and places to eat around the new market than there were around CM.

It has the same number of stalls as CM. It is meant to be the same size. A lot of CM was closed down.

There are at least ten bus routes including freebe that stop right outside the market.

There is a larger population within walking distance, greater footfall and they have more money to spend. Whether it is a success has more to do with the stalls inside and them selling what people want. One thing for sure is that CM was negelected and in decline.

There are more decent cafes, coffee shops and places to eat around the new market than there were around CM.

But it isn't completing with Castle Market. It is competing with Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks and Chesterfield.

You were comparing the old location to the new one and pointing out the supposed weaknesses. I never said it was comepting with CM as that err no longer exists and it is essentially what is in the new market plus a few more stalls.

Did you use the old cm on a regular basis and do you use the new one?

I doubt very much it is competing with any of those places like Meadowhall. People go to Meadowhall for retail not for tat, cheap fruit and veg or fish. It doesnt have to compete with crystal peaks because it has a large enough captive catchment area from all the people that live in the city centre. I really dont think people in the city centre are going to say I will go to chesterfield instead. In your previous post you were bemoaning it wasnt on the tram route or that people might have to get a bus and now you are saying hey will travel to chesterfield.

Market shopping is old fashioned and the main competition comes from supermarkets these days. Thes are what finished off Sheaf and caused the decline of CM. Changing shopping habits, which means the market has to kind of reibent itself as a reason for people to go there along the lines of the way Borough market did.

Edited by 999tigger