The New Moor Market

I think the traders professionalism is a contributing factor to some people opinions of the market as some of the traders don't give off the best impressions to new visitors.

I know it's a market but people expect better nowadays.

Another two traders have left in February. It is easy to blame crippling rents as the reason (and it may BE the reason), but if you were turning over £K1 per week, the rent ceases to be an issue. This morning by midday we had taken £7.20. Is that the fault of the Council? Perhaps not.

I think that new traders need to be offered what the early adopters of The Moor Market were i.e a minimum of 6 months rent free as this would help any new business become established and in my opinions stem the flow of new traders coming and closing almost immediately.

Rent free periods are common place in bricks and mortar retail and even places like Meadowhall offer them to get their new tenants off the ground.

The location is fine however I do feel the market moved too early and should have aimed to open after the cinema and Primark had relocated.

3. Not all, but many traders are justly proud of the products they sell and work hard to deliver them to the customer in a friendly and professional fashion. And at a reasonable price./QUOTE]

I think this is a contributing factor to some people opinions of the market as some of the traders don't give off the best impressions to new visitors.

I think that new traders need to be offered what the early adopters of The Moor Market were i.e a minimum of 6 months rent free as this would help any new business become established and in my opinions stem the flow of new traders coming and closing almost immediately.

Rent free periods are common place in bricks and mortar retail and even places like Meadowhall offer them to get their new tenants off the ground.

The location is fine however I do feel the market moved too early and should have aimed to open after the cinema and Primark had relocated.

I'd be very surprised if they aren't already being given rent free periods. We have had a number of traders go for a few months to try out a business and then close up or move to another location in the city.

having been to chesterfield ,I rang Sheffield markets and suggested a farmers market outside say weekly or a flea market also weekly or a mixture of both,i was told that was impossible as the scc wont allow either on or near the new market,well I thought that sounds silly as it would bring in people and I am sure many visitors would call in and increase the footfall in the week.

having been to chesterfield ,I rang Sheffield markets and suggested a farmers market outside say weekly or a flea market also weekly or a mixture of both,i was told that was impossible as the scc wont allow either on or near the new market,well I thought that sounds silly as it would bring in people and I am sure many visitors would call in and increase the footfall in the week.

Why not just go to Chesterfield Market in the first place? The Market and flee market there are very successful.

Hi Basset one, I have been to Chesterfield Market and although it is outdoor it is well covered as the stalls are close together, I was in Sheffield near the market last Wednesday when the weather was lousy and several of the stalls outside the market had not bothered turning up.

The other Saturday I was in Blackburn market same size and age as Sheffield one, that's where the similarity ends.

No empty stalls or repression notices.

What ever they are doing right we need to copy.

Went in moor market today for men's handkerchiefs no one sells them - don't tell me to go to top of dixon lane he doesn't appear to be there any longer.

Open later. I use the market for meat, fish and veg when I can, but as they shut before I leave work, 9 out of 10 times I go elsewhere.

Sundays should also be considered. The individual market traders don't have to trade the whole time, many close on some weekdays already but the market hall should be open.