The New Moor Market

That's why I said,as good as the fish USED to be. In other words it tastes as fresh,to me, from that market as the fish we had fresh from Grimsby in the 1960s whereas supermarket fish doesn't.

I'm told in the 1960s that cod was sold in rectangular lumps cut from 15 kilo fish, but now that stocks of mature fish are depleted cod tends to be fish shaped as the large cod are fished out and no longer exist. Either way you do well to remember what fish tasted like in the 1960s. Folk I know who were around in those days spend half their time telling me how good the beer was, and the other half how many pints of it they took back.

I'm told in the 1960s that cod was sold in rectangular lumps cut from 15 kilo fish, but now that stocks of mature fish are depleted cod tends to be fish shaped as the large cod are fished out and no longer exist. Either way you do well to remember what fish tasted like in the 1960s. Folk I know who were around in those days spend half their time telling me how good the beer was, and the other half how many pints of it they took back.

The beer was much better.

When it comes to meat I just can't find anything in a supermarket that is anywhere near as nice. Supermarket meat is so full of fat.

But at least it is properly labelled giving its fat content, unlike the market where its not necessary to label the meat. With some cuts of meat its the fat that gives the meat a better taste.

As for fish,the fish we have had from the market tastes as good as the fish you used to be able to get freshly caught at the seaside, whereas I can't even go near the fish counters in supermarkets because of the rancid smell from the fish.

The fish sold at supermarkets is not loose and normally pre-packed so shouldn't smell the place out. But I do not eat fish any-more as I believe they need time to recover from overfishing and wish others would consider doing the same.

But at least it is properly labelled giving its fat content, unlike the market where its not necessary to label the meat. With some cuts of meat its the fat that gives the meat a better taste.

The fish sold at supermarkets is not loose and normally pre-packed so shouldn't smell the place out. But I do not eat fish any-more as I believe they need time to recover from overfishing and wish others would consider doing the same.

I suppose it's alright if you like a lot of fat in the meat, but as far as labeling goes we much prefer to see the cut of meat.

Fat content labeling is meaningless anyway as its only an average.

I only buy meat from the local butcher myself, but would probably use the market if that no longer was an option.

Very rarely buy meat from the supermarket as too often its tasteless, tainted or just poor quality in general. The only time it seems to be worth it is occasionally when pork loin is on offer.

That's why I said,as good as the fish USED to be. In other words it tastes as fresh,to me, from that market as the fish we had fresh from Grimsby in the 1960s whereas supermarket fish doesn't.

A lot of that could well be down to psycodology the fish in a market is generally the same as the supermarket. the vast majority of processing goes on in grimsby is swift, there will be a slight delay for supermarkets as the quantiity and distance is larger.

So the market stall could in therory load a transit up and have it in his fridge in an hour or two. but it's going to be the same catch that appears in Morrisons on the same day. landed at dawn and eaten at supper is the same regardless

the cold stores are supplying freezers like iceland not fish counters. but things like prawns are all frozen at sea, There's no fresh prawns in England (bar a few minute quantities)

In some cases the supermarkets may get it before as a lot of their order isn't taken from a quay auction but in some cases it's ot even close to fresh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509010/Supermarket-fresh-fish-THREE-weeks-old.html

"

When choosing fish, you should look for clear, protruding eyes, a pleasant sea-salty aroma and flesh that is dry and firm to the touch.

"

A lot of that could well be down to psycodology the fish in a market is generally the same as the supermarket. the vast majority of processing goes on in grimsby is swift, there will be a slight delay for supermarkets as the quantiity and distance is larger.

So the market stall could in therory load a transit up and have it in his fridge in an hour or two. but it's going to be the same catch that appears in Morrisons on the same day. landed at dawn and eaten at supper is the same regardless

the cold stores are supplying freezers like iceland not fish counters. but things like prawns are all frozen at sea, There's no fresh prawns in England (bar a few minute quantities)

In some cases the supermarkets may get it before as a lot of their order isn't taken from a quay auction but in some cases it's ot even close to fresh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509010/Supermarket-fresh-fish-THREE-weeks-old.html

"

When choosing fish, you should look for clear, protruding eyes, a pleasant sea-salty aroma and flesh that is dry and firm to the touch.

"

We do, and we find that on the market stall. I avoid a supermarket fresh fish counter because of the bad aroma.

"

"

'Psycodology' in the fish market. Is that a typo? :P

Perhaps the new Market has found its niche, Sharan from Sharans cafe has started community programmes for customers ,booking turns and encouraging customers to join in with the singing [page 36 todays Star] .Good owd Sharan!. an old time stall holder who has always known what her customers like about Markets .

The new Sheffield foot tappers and shunters club has been born .