The New Moor Market

I would have thought all the OAPs that visited Castle Market would take the bus.

What buses stop outside the Moor Market now ?

A lot, you have to walk a little since they haven't adjusted the bus stops to the new market location.

I have stopped using the market since it is on the moor I go there once/month and often buy nothing. The prices and quality have degraded to supermarket products.

I'll be going some time this week, I am disappointed to hear there are apparently no good cheese stalls/artisan bakers etc. but maybe that will come over time. I think there is a market for it (pun intended).

I hope it goes well, I know someone who has invested in one of the food stalls and he deserves the best.

The artisan bakers who had a thriving business in Castle Market were refused a stall in the Moorfoot mall because being bakers they had to have an early access so as to actually bake the bread.

Another artisan who had a thriving stall in the Castle Market was a tailor who was refused a stall because he could not draw up a business plan , the lad spoke only limited English and he was in tears when told that he was out .

A market is a market ,now't fancy (as the so called planners envisaged ) but a place for people on limited means to shop and trade in an area where that activity has always taken p[lace.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 10:17 ----------

It looks just like the old one, just a bit cleaner, not as run down yet but that look will come back over the years to this market.

It gives me the exact same hard core feeling as the old market did. The changes are not significant enough to call it really different.

This feels to me like someone buying a new car that is exactly like the old one. It may be new but is same model as the old one.

It is nothing like the old one , the old one had character and the Architecture was unique with the Gallery running around the exterior .

Only in Sheffield would such an historical trading area be destroyed in the name of progress.

It is nothing like the old one , the old one had character and the Architecture was unique with the Gallery running around the exterior .

Only in Sheffield would such an historical trading area be destroyed in the name of progress.

The old market could not have been saved, there had been structural errors made in the concrete/reinforcement by designers and or builders.

There is a car park bang next to the new market.

I expect most of the OAPs who aren't living on the breadline will be blue-badge holders and park adjacent to the new market on Cumberland Way for nowt

blah blah...proper Sheffielders...blah blah...historical trading area...blah blah.

cuttsie/Judd/Sam: please let it go and try and get over it. You can't live in the past.

There are valid criticisms to be made of the new market (like why have one at all?), but don't oversentimentalise Castle Market. It was a dreadful hole catering to a fast disappearing demographic. Very few 'proper Sheffielders' miss it at all.

The old market could not have been saved, there had been structural errors made in the concrete/reinforcement by designers and or builders.

I cant remember reading anything about design or structural errors in the concrete. There were plans in the past to rebuild the market in the same place but these were abandoned in favour of regenerating the whole area.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 15:13 ----------

cuttsie/Judd/Sam: please let it go and try and get over it. You can't live in the past.

There are valid criticisms to be made of the new market (like why have one at all?), but don't oversentimentalise Castle Market. It was a dreadful hole catering to a fast disappearing demographic. Very few 'proper Sheffielders' miss it at all.

And yet the whole idea is just the opposite and to live in the past and open up what (if any) remains to attract tourism. The old market lost customers in the end, down from around 6M a year to around 4M before it closed. Now compare that to current customers at the new one. A lot of traders decided not to relocate and the main reason was it was too costly and built in the wrong place.

Guest makapaka

I think the moor has improved in terms of footfall because of the market building - it used to be a ghost town down there but isn't now.

The new development with the cinema will improve things further.

The manpower building is still a problem for the moor. If that was to go and open the route throug from London road you could really progress that end of town.

The area around the former market site is a problem and has been for a long time. No one wants to invest any money down there. Thankfully the uni came to the rescue to save the post office building but no one seems to want to invest down there.