The New Moor Market

Broken biscuits was a big treat at the old market hall .

If you have a look at the nostalgia board in the corner of the coffee shop as you enter the new mall you will find the clue:D

---------- Post added 30-03-2017 at 14:50 ----------

Why not answer the post and give your opinion on the matter in hand.

I will reiterate! would it be better if each cafe had its own section as was the case in the old market and is now the situation at the new Barnsley cafe section ..

Maybe, but the layout of the market does not lend itself to that. The catering units have custom kitchens. They also share seating space for efficiency reasons. It would just get in the way with the new market due to the flow of people. At last the units have stabilised and some of them are doing ok. People always find reasons to moan.

Maybe, but the layout of the market does not lend itself to that. The catering units have custom kitchens. They also share seating space for efficiency reasons. It would just get in the way with the new market due to the flow of people. At last the units have stabilised and some of them are doing ok. People always find reasons to moan.

Suggesting a different lay out is not moaning .

If you study the cafe section layout it would be a simple exercise to to create individual areas for many of the traders , this would improve on the problem that has arisen where some people are using the eating section as a private club some times pulling tables together so as to create their own little space while actual customers are stood around looking for some where to sit and eat.

Suggesting a different lay out is not moaning .

If you study the cafe section layout it would be a simple exercise to to create individual areas for many of the traders , this would improve on the problem that has arisen where some people are using the eating section as a private club some times pulling tables together so as to create their own little space while actual customers are stood around looking for some where to sit and eat.

Then it will get territorial with customers arguing they are sitting in each others seats. If its that terrible sellers will leave. they dont appear to be doing so at the moment, it all seems to have stablised.

Take a look at Barnsley's new market cafe area, each cafe has its own area staffed by table cleaners ,the pride in the appearance has to be seen to believed .

The similar system in the old Castle market was much better than the shambles down the Moor.

the market has table cleaners.

i despiar of this forum now after years of moaning that it is dead people are now moaning that it is busy, and the castle market was shambles the cafe areas would spead so you would have to fight your way through people sitting around nattering at least its all in one area also whats the poinjt in havng it spread around it means one person can have fish & chips and another could have a curry and sit together.

Air quality within the market needs improving. The stench of raw meat and seafood when you walk in is rather off-putting. Perhaps if they opened the other doors it would help ventilate the market.

Yeah I do agree with that it often feels quite stuffy in there but I gues you do get that and you can't help the smell too much in a market that sells seafood but it does hit you as soon as you walk.

Everytime I go once or twice a week it is always really busy im not saying people buy stuff but there is always plenty of people and the butchers usually have 2-3 people trying to buy stuff at a time, Theres a barbers and hair salon and I always seen people in the chairs and a few people getting there nails done. Cafe area is rammed you are lucky to get a seat or table

In my opinion its doing good compared to how people keep saying it is.

I think the main problem with it is its layout I don't like it and I think it could have been designed a hell of a lot better but thats just my opinion

In the news recently they've been saying that British market stalls and traders will be allowed to start using imperial measurements again post-Brexit without the fear of criminal conviction.

As if they couldn't before anyway, as long as they provided metric as well. I'm dubious as to how much such a rule has been enforced over the years anyway.

Good luck to any traders who will go back to just using imperial, but I'm not sure why any of them would. Metric is increasingly the norm for the younger generations, is much simpler from a maths point of view, and surely the generations who feel more comfortable with imperial are an ageing and diminishing demographic?

But there you go, that's a big part of Brexit for a lot of leave voters - the older generation giving a rose-tinted, overly-nostalgic middle-finger to the younger generations.