The New Moor Market

On the tea stall I'd have thought he would be better off with a single unit to halve his rent and establish himself. he doesnt need all that space.

Its going to take some time before it starts to get an atmosphere and a character of its own. I thought the cafe and stuff would be on a different level.

AngelaP at this time of year in the old CM it would be packed and feel very busy. Also quite Christmasy. Cgaos and disorganisation was part of the market along with people shouting their goods. The bottleneck infront of all the meat stalls doesnt help anyone as at busy times its hard to distinguish people who are waiting to be served from those just passing through.

Is the Tea stall the one with the shelves with a few really pretty tins on?

I was interested in buying one, but couldn't find any prices, so assumed they weren't for sale.

Maybe they were free?

That's the one. They're all for sale & there are some very good teas, but you need to ask the prices, talk to the stall holder.

anyweb perhaps you ought to tell the owner he could be losing a lot of business by not having prices. No prices always creates suspicion imo that they make them up as they go along according to what they think they can get out of you or the alternative would maybe a sign inviting people to haggle?

I admit I have never really liked markets, I find them chaotic and messy and unpleasant. I tried to walk round the new one with an appreciation of the fact that perhaps for many people that is the appeal.

I walked down from the entrance past the small kiosk type units thinking that it felt very much like a modern supermarket. I was surprised by how clearly I noticed the separation of the Architecture from the commercial realities of the market stalls. There is almost literally a line at the top of the stalls where the individuality of the stalls suddenly becomes the over arching architecture of the roof, - The exposed timber structures and the colourfully wrapped ductwork. Their is a similar effect at the market in huddersfield. I then went down to the corner where the food area seems to be and thought what a shame it was that they weren't arranged so that those eating could sit and look out of the windows (probably due to the practicalities of servicing requirements). Of course this changes further along but the seating in this area just feels a bit lost and out on a limb.

As I came back toward the entrance I noticed how much the experience reminded me of something like the shambles in York with small individual retailers effectively benefitting from a kind of shared identity but able still to be individuals. I wonder perhaps if this might be a better model for a market, - a series of self contained streets with small shop units that can fully open up their frontages for the display of their wares.

I'm not impressed by the Market, it feels much like the same situation as was at the old one and as such has failed to recognise that many felt their was a problem that needed to be addressed and hasn't been.

I wonder at this point what it would feel like to walk around the old market with the accumulated detritus mostly removed and the possibility of seeing the qualities of the original design.

On the Moor it was recognised that the chaos of the mess of the fixed market stalls was detracting from the experience of the street as a whole and it was correctly removed to reveal one of the most architecturally cohesive streets in the entire city (white stone in a modernist style all the way up both sides).

Perhaps with a market hall the grand roof architecture only serves to show up the bittyness of the stalls, but then if that is the nature of the market perhaps its the architectural roof that needs to go to allow the appreciation of the vibrancy of the market.

If you really like to look at roof structures then the one in the old Castle Market [not fish section] was a joy to behold.

The sawtooth structure roof lights set on massive in situe concrete beams made for an Architectual jem.

The trouble was no one [inc English Heritage] bothered to look up in their haste to move opposite Atkinsons .

For whatever reason that may have been ;).

Maybe the eating area should not have been on a second floor but raised up like on a stage with steps and partitions.

I think it would still function as it is now but a little more private, some nice wooden decking would have been a great touch as well.

I'm almost sure the eating area was originally going to be on the mezzanine and it's a pity that due to money restraints the mezzanine couldn't be included. I've not really looked at the seating area but don't think elevating it on to a raised stage like area would of worked as how would the infirm or wheelchair users gained access. ramps are all well and good but there are specific guidelines governing the gradient of such ramps and they take up a lot of room. I'd prefer it now if the seating area was partially hidden by a low wall maybe a meter or so tall, they could even of made the wall a raised table area with bar stools .

I know it's early days but it seems to be lacking any character at the moment.

With a few exceptions, there's very little in the way of display, with many of the stalls operating against a bland white background with very little to look at or catch the eye.

There are some interesting stalls but I think they'll struggle to get enough custom to pay their way.

Still it's not been up and running long, let's hope they get time to settle in and work it.