The New Moor Market

Been today and was pleasantly surprised, we spoke to a couple of stallholders that we know and they are very happy with the rent break to help them with set up costs.

It was nice to see a decent mix of choices in the food court and all the staff were in their shiny new uniforms, a much better welcome than the old mixed up chairs and tables and multi coloured pots in the old place.

As for empty units,we saw several that were already signwritten awaiting their new tenants moving in, we only saw a handful that were not tenanted or signed.

All in all it's far better than the old run down place, and with the new ethnic food stalls that have opened I can see it turning out to be just the ticket.

One last thing ... look out for the Chinese guy in the middle selling fancies, we've just had one with a cuppa and it was scrummy.

Rossy you've just had a Chinaman with a cuppa :hihi::hihi:

I popped in at lunchtime for a quick nosey round and a sandwich. I cannot remember ever buying anything in Castle Market, I generally avoided that bit of town as it is run down and appears a bit rough. The market was very busy and obviously lots of people like me looking what was there.

Like a few others commented I expected it to be bigger but that said still plenty of stalls, quite a variety of things to buy. It was also a pleasant, clean place. I did like the food court idea with all the cafe kiosks grouped together with shared seating.

I also think the balance has been got right in terms of catering for traditional market customers wanting a budget shop and your modern middle class customers looking for fresh artisan food and drink.

Something else I noticed was the package extended beyond the new market hall as the long established street market on the Moor is right outside, so together you have a proper full market experience with the atmosphere created by the hustle and bustle of a busy trading area.

I intend to go back when it isn't as busy to look at some of the food stalls plus the bottled beer stall.

Does anyone think the new market will also get a new different type of customers now from higher income classes that would avoid the old castle area but would shop at the moor easily?

Not until there's at least a cluster of 3-4 stalls that cater for us. I had to go to M&S on the way home as usual (and somewhere else for lunch) to get all the things I would rather have got from an independent supplier on the market, but weren't there.

Does anyone think the new market will also get a new different type of customers now from higher income classes that would avoid the old castle area but would shop at the moor easily?

What utter cobblers, are you saying only dole people and bums shopped at the CM, what a snob you are; anyone's money spends anywhere. The difference is most of the people that shopped at CM weren't part of the ten bob millionaire club, i.e. furs coats, no knickers.

Now now Pete, I think he has a legit point. I never went to Castle Market because of its reputation and frankly, after I went last week I realised I hadn't missed anything. The new market will certainly get me trying it for a while to see if it offers more than Castle Market did. I think they will miss a big opportunity if they don't offer something with a bit more interest for those with some money to spend.

I'm going to wait till the initial rush has died down a bit before going in as I'll want to locate the toilets at the very least. The people mentioning that they expected it to be on more than one level should remember a mezzanine level was in the original plans along with a walkway through to the car park next door, sadly these plans had to be scaled back when the original developer pulled out and the council were left with either getting a scaled back version up and running or Sheffield being left with a building site with nothing happening, I think they did the right thing.

What utter cobblers, are you saying only dole people and bums shopped at the CM, what a snob you are; anyone's money spends anywhere. The difference is most of the people that shopped at CM weren't part of the ten bob millionaire club, i.e. furs coats, no knickers.

No, but it seems having a wall of dole people and toothless bums hanging about and watching you as you get your wallet out doesn't encourage people to want to go there to shop. It didn't encourage me to go down there anyway.

Hopefully the days of 'putting on the hard face and nipping in and out without making eye contact' are long gone with the new market.