The New Moor Market

I'm pretty well covered by Meadowheaven, Asda, Numerous retail parks. All free parking, and smell pleasant.

Do you have anything else in your life other than shopping? Here is a few things that ALSO happens in a city centre.

Go to work, go to college/university, attend business meetings, attend appointments, visit cinemas/theatres/galleries/museums, visit restaurants/bars, stay in hotels oh and people live there.

Do you have anything else in your life other than shopping? Here is a few things that ALSO happens in a city centre.

Go to work, go to college/university, attend business meetings, attend appointments, visit cinemas/theatres/galleries/museums, visit restaurants/bars, stay in hotels oh and people live there.

Yeah i do lots of things, just never pay for parking. it's not my loss.

Let's not turn this into a parking charges thread, it's Christmas for gawd sake.

On the other hand if you think Meadowhall is Meadowheaven and visit Asda more than once a month, I'm not sure the market really offers you much nothing is branded and they have more than 1 type of apple.

For just a moment I thought I had gone back in time and you were talking about the Castle Market.

I could've been talking about any market anywhere in the world. It's important to support your small local traders.

It's a lot of the same traders, so I might as well have been talking about Castle Market, there were some great traders there, most of them have moved to bigger & better stalls at the new market. It's the traders that make the market, not the building it's in.

Can't complain it's too small when there are empty stalls waiting to be let. If it was too small there'd be a waiting list for stalls. It is pretty small & I wish I could say it was too small, but it's not. Maybe in a couple of years, if it all goes well we'll be able to complain it's too small & the council will be able to build another market. We used to have 3 or 4 markets & they were busy, 25 years ago. A lot of Castle Market has been empty for the last few years. Sheffield markets have been in decline for years because of the attitudes of people like megalithic above.

I'm glad we've got a market, I'm glad there are some fantastic stalls there. It could be better, as with anything, but it's there, it's good, it beats any supermarket & I hope it gets better.

I'm sick of seeing Tesco, Asda & other huge faceless chains taking over. It's shocking that people claim to want to spend more on lower quality food with some huge corporation all for the sake of saving a 70p parking charge or a 100 yard walk from the free car park, or to avoid smelling any food. It's myopic. If you don't keep your money local then you can't complain when your local traders & the city in general goes into decline, you're part of the problem. It is your loss because you spent way more than that 70p over the odds for poor quality food for your weekly shop - then you've got to eat the crap in plastic boxes that you bought. It's our loss too if not enough people use the market to keep it viable & we're all forced to use supermarkets, watch the prices shoot up & quality go down when they have no competition.

There's no local butcher or greengrocer or fishmonger now, like there was when I was a kid. Now I need to go to the market if I want any decent food within a few miles. If we're not careful we'll lose the market too.

Edited by anywebsite