The New Moor Market

I could've been talking about any market anywhere in the world. It's important to support your small local traders.

It's a lot of the same traders, so I might as well have been talking about Castle Market, there were some great traders there, most of them have moved to bigger & better stalls at the new market. It's the traders that make the market, not the building it's in.

Can't complain it's too small when there are empty stalls waiting to be let. If it was too small there'd be a waiting list for stalls. It is pretty small & I wish I could say it was too small, but it's not. Maybe in a couple of years, if it all goes well we'll be able to complain it's too small & the council will be able to build another market. We used to have 3 or 4 markets & they were busy, 25 years ago. A lot of Castle Market has been empty for the last few years. Sheffield markets have been in decline for years because of the attitudes of people like megalithic above.

I'm glad we've got a market, I'm glad there are some fantastic stalls there. It could be better, as with anything, but it's there, it's good, it beats any supermarket & I hope it gets better.

I'm sick of seeing Tesco, Asda & other huge faceless chains taking over. It's shocking that people claim to want to spend more on lower quality food with some huge corporation all for the sake of saving a 70p parking charge or a 100 yard walk from the free car park, or to avoid smelling any food. It's myopic. If you don't keep your money local then you can't complain when your local traders & the city in general goes into decline, you're part of the problem. It is your loss because you spent way more than that 70p over the odds for poor quality food for your weekly shop - then you've got to eat the crap in plastic boxes that you bought. It's our loss too if not enough people use the market to keep it viable & we're all forced to use supermarkets, watch the prices shoot up & quality go down when they have no competition.

There's no local butcher or greengrocer or fishmonger now, like there was when I was a kid. Now I need to go to the market if I want any decent food within a few miles. If we're not careful we'll lose the market too.

Fully agree except for the bigger and better stalls bit ,some of the traders have smaller stalls that will cost double the ones they had in the Castle Market[ when you inc the other overheads ]that will be charged in 12 months time.

I can't think of any with smaller stalls, maybe Wateralls? Some of the better traders from Castle Market seem to have got a lot bigger stalls, a wider range & improved their presentation, like Smith & Tissington, Bingham & Brown. I think the traders from Castle Market got first choice of stalls.

There are some interesting new stalls too, it's the newer traders that seem to have the smaller & more hidden stalls. There's a great little butcher hidden in the corner next to Crawshaw's, so don't be put off from that end by Crawshaw's & the block of empty stalls, if you walk straight past it you can get some great meat. Had a lovely wild rabbit from there, couldn't have got that from any supermarket.

The rents seem pretty reasonable for what they're getting, no city centre rents are cheap & I think Castle Market rents had been kept low because of what a state it was in. The first 6 months are free & the next 6 half price, so they've got plenty of time to find their feet, they can't really blame anybody else if they can't afford to pay the full rent for a stall.

Edited by anywebsite

I can't think of any with smaller stalls, maybe Wateralls? Some of the better traders from Castle Market seem to have got a lot bigger stalls, a wider range & improved their presentation, like Smith & Tissington, Bingham & Brown. I think the traders from Castle Market got first choice of stalls.

There are some interesting new stalls too, it's the newer traders that seem to have the smaller & more hidden stalls. There's a great little butcher hidden in the corner next to Crawshaw's, so don't be put off from that end by Crawshaw's & the block of empty stalls, if you walk straight past it you can get some great meat. Had a lovely wild rabbit from there, couldn't have got that from any supermarket.

The rents seem pretty reasonable for what they're getting, no city centre rents are cheap & I think Castle Market rents had been kept low because of what a state it was in. The first 6 months are free & the next 6 half price, so they've got plenty of time to find their feet, they can't really blame anybody else if they can't afford to pay the full rent for a stall.

Well I know plenty of folk who can't afford their rent but that's another story for another thread:(

Well I know plenty of folk who can't afford their rent but that's another story for another thread:(

Yeah, I've been there myself, wasn't because the rent was too high, just a lot of unfortunate problems hit me at once & left me unable to pay anything. Have to work from home now, still can't afford to pay rent for anywhere, but I didn't have many other people to blame. No doubt some of the new stalls will fail, but it wont be due to high rent & hopefully they'll be replaced by better stalls.

What I mean is, the rents seem reasonable in the market, compared to other city centre rents they seem to be on a good deal & they've got every opportunity to make a successful business out of it, especially with the free rent to help them get started. I don't think any will fail because the rents are too high, more because they're trying to sell things that people don't want or they have other problems. I think most of them will be successful, but there are maybe a few that need to make some changes.

Edited by anywebsite

Why something else in the café area, there is a fish & chip shop at the bottom of the Moor, this may be another place to close if one opens in the market. There are too may place to eat and not enough stalls.

What a lot of rot. The other fish & chip shops in the area will already be feeling the impact of the market more competition but also more footfall. I doubt that a fish & chips stall will make that much difference to that impact and the market has always had a chippy seems a bit wrong that there isn't one, right now.

Anyway correct me if I'm wrong but these are probably the last pitches in the food area. There's some good variety Italian, Caribbean, Polish, Russian, plus traditional cafes and now fish & chips. Only thing that's missing is a Chinese or Indian for a splash of colour and spice.