The New Moor Market

We visited yesterday,for the first (and last) time, it was rubbish! The prevailing smell of poor quality, processed foods, stalls selling cheap shoes and seedy mobile phone accessory peddlers does not a pleasant experience make. Bunches of unhealthy, overweight women stood outside the entrance, greedily sucking on their Superkings and the whole shebang framed by the usual, Iceland, Poundland, Pound Bakery low rent enterprises suggest that the glorious 'Moor Regeneration' exists only in the minds of certain delusional members of the S.C.C Planning Dept.

Edited by beefface

We visited yesterday,for the first (and last) time, it was rubbish! The prevailing smell of poor quality, processed foods, stalls selling cheap shoes and seedy mobile phone accessory peddlers does not a pleasant experience make. Bunches of unhealthy, overweight women stood outside the entrance, greedily sucking on their Superkings and the whole shebang framed by the usual, Iceland, Poundland, Pound Bakery low rent enterprises suggest that the glorious 'Moor Regeneration' exists only in the minds of certain delusional members of the S.C.C Planning Dept.

On the plus side John Lewis is now lovely to shop in and chav free again

We visited yesterday,for the first (and last) time, it was rubbish! The prevailing smell of poor quality, processed foods,

Is it really the smell of poor quality, or are you getting the smell of fresh meat and fish confused because you are more used to sanitized supermarkets and vac packed products sandwiched in between TV dinners catering for those scared of the realities of every day life in the real world!

Granted, some of the folk down the old market area in general made me feel like I was in that colony on Mars in Total Recall, but the markets themselves and a good proportion of people there, were great

Awful lot of snobbishness on this thread, as though people looking for affordable food are automatically chavs or some sort of sub-human.

Tell that to the crowds of people fighting over the 10p avocados in Waitrose at lunchtime.

The market caters well to people who want basic good value food. It isn't Fortnum and Mason, but then it doesn't pretend to be. I've bought meat and fish from there with no qualms but I wanted something special for tomorrow's bird so went elsewhere.

I does what it says on the tin and I love the extra opportunity it gives me at lunchtime to do some meat and fish shopping now it's a stones throw from where I work.

Awful lot of snobbishness on this thread, as though people looking for affordable food are automatically chavs or some sort of sub-human.

Tell that to the crowds of people fighting over the 10p avocados in Waitrose at lunchtime.

The market caters well to people who want basic good value food. It isn't Fortnum and Mason, but then it doesn't pretend to be. I've bought meat and fish from there with no qualms but I wanted something special for tomorrow's bird so went elsewhere.

I does what it says on the tin and I love the extra opportunity it gives me at lunchtime to do some meat and fish shopping now it's a stones throw from where I work.

Bravo ... your first sentence has hit the nail on the head.

I have never met or spoken to Cuttsie whose love of a cuppa at Sharons is legendary on the football threads.

What I will tell you, is that I would rather encounter him at his favourite haunt than come across some of the John Lewis lot that decry anyone not so well off as themselves.

I have to agree.I did give it a second chance though.

I had great hopes for the new market and went with a totally open mind.I entered almost determined to buy SOMETHING but left empty handed.

Such a shame.:(

The whole idea of having a market is to choose which stalls to visit & spend your money at. Of course there will be stalls you don't like, but you can walk past to the next stall. You don't get that choice when you're stuck in a supermarket. Nobody forces you to buy cheap shoes or mobile phone accessories. There are shops selling horrible cheap plastic shoes & stands blocking the aisles selling mobile phone accessories in Meadowhall. I can't even stand the smell of 'Shoe Zone' as I walk past, nothing that bad in the market.

Adding the shop fronts onto the Moor in the market building was a bad idea, it's attracted TJ Hughes, Poundland & Iceland, plus a huge empty unit or 3. Should've made the market bigger & got rid of those waste of space low rent shops built into the front.

Edited by anywebsite

Bravo ... your first sentence has hit the nail on the head.

I have never met or spoken to Cuttsie whose love of a cuppa at Sharons is legendary on the football threads.

What I will tell you, is that I would rather encounter him at his favourite haunt than come across some of the John Lewis lot that decry anyone not so well off as themselves.

Why I first went into the Markets I saw a young man try to throw some rubbish into a bin from 10 metres away.

He missed.

And he left the rubbish on the floor and laughed as he walked off with his mates.

You don't see that in John Lewis.

Afraid its a negative responce from me re: The New Moor Market.....been in twice since it opened and in all honesty was glad to get out.

The building in itself is ok but it lacks the feeling the old Castle market use to give whilst shopping there, the old Market was a place I use to go on a regular basis with my nan when I was a young lad......way back from the back end of the 1950's right up to the point of its closure.

Being a regular customer to the majority of the stallholders, you get to know them and build up a rapport with them.... unfortunately, some of the stallholders haven't transferred to the new market, so what friendships you have formed have now become lost.

Take away what few meat stalls are in the new market and the stalls selling jackets and coats

and there wouldn't be anything worth going in for......OK its warm and brightly lit but that's all that can be said about it in my opinion.

Another thing, if you happen to park in the carpark at the bottom of Dixon lane, you have further to walk in order to get to what was regarded as being the ' Meat Market ' its a trail to say the least.

What about the people who have for many years had stalls in the old market and due to being unable to afford the rents in the new market have been put out of business ?