The New Moor Market

I was down the moor today ( thurs) called at the kiosk for my morning paper,

Well, i could'nt pass over to T J Hughes shop till all the pigeons flew away.

People are still feeding them and most of them have vacated from the

castle market to the moor. Now what can be done.

Cull the pigeons !!! :hihi:

Sorry to pour water on the flames but everything seems to be closing around the market I will give it five years before its boarded up knocked down and a Aldi or lidl built on it sad but true bet plans are allready drawn up, moving shopkeepers on and slowly increasing the rates makes it easy for the council to work there strategy soften them up then hit them hard

Sorry to pour water on the flames but everything seems to be closing around the market I will give it five years before its boarded up knocked down and a Aldi or lidl built on it sad but true bet plans are allready drawn up, moving shopkeepers on and slowly increasing the rates makes it easy for the council to work there strategy soften them up then hit them hard

No need to apologise because its not really accurate. Name any building project in sheffield where thye have knocked it down after five years? It will go through a transition phase, but it will still be there in five years time. Hopefully the new cinema and additional shops will be in place by then as well. Dont be a betting man.

No need to apologise because its not really accurate. Name any building project in sheffield where thye have knocked it down after five years? It will go through a transition phase, but it will still be there in five years time. Hopefully the new cinema and additional shops will be in place by then as well. Dont be a betting man.

Correct. The building will still be there in 20 years. Whether it is still a market is open to debate. It is also very unlikely to be an Aldi or a Lidll. They provide car parking for their customers and there isn't any down there. Folk want to be able to empty their shopping trolley into their car. So the market only appeals to folk able to carry whatever they bought from the entire place.

Being a betting man is pretty good around town these days. Judging by Fitzalan Square and its' environs the town centre will probably be nothing but betting shops in 10 years time.

Incidentally after a brisk start when it first opened the market hardly seems to be packed out these days.

Edited by eckerslike

But isn't the beer twice the price of supermarkets in the first place.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a load of McEwans Champion, Fullers 1845, Old Crafty Hen, Riggwelter and Old Tom at ASDA @ 4 for £5.

This morning I bought a load of Wentworth bottled beers from an offy on Abbeydale Road @ 3 for £3.

Three for £3 is £1 each.

Four for £5 is £1.25 each.

Which doesn't make twice the price.

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 17:40 ----------

Incidentally after a brisk start when it first opened the market hardly seems to be packed out these days.

When it opened it had its novelty value and it was just before Christmas. It's now January when people are skint and the weather is worse. Judge it over 6 or 12 months.

eckers they need to hurry up and get the empty stalls let out. Think that is 5 units on the front, 3 food outlets and about 20 units inside.

This idea about all the people congregating outside is a load of rubbish. Too wet and busy really.

January will always be a slow month imo. The real test will come when they have to start paying rent.

The much loved little tailor that used to trade opposite the Soda Fountin in the old Market was also refused a stall.

He was very good at altering shirts, frocks, trousers, and suits but not very good at filling in forms and busines plans so the suits! rejected his application.

He would have been a big success in the new Mall.

A good bloke. He did me a few alterations. They should have left him at Castle Market along with everyone else and carried out improvements there.

A trader came in to see how we are getting on today, he said that things are not that good.

Why are not as many people using the market?

Well they are claiming much improved footfall....

Will always take time for people to adjust. At CM site they had a particular clientele from a certain part of town. Guess a lot arent traveling down the Moor. They should have a free shuttle bus that goes just from the old CM site straight to the market. The new clientele are different type of shoppers and interested in different things imo. Plenty of scope for different and more interesting produce. Less people are interested in tat these days, but then the really low rents in CM let businesses survive that would have most likely ceased trading in ant other environment.