The New Moor Market

At what cost will the council keep the market open?

Yesterday afternoon the water was switched off. No water to any stalls cafes or toilets. How did they wash their hands I wonder??

It seems as though they are having a problem with switching Things.

I have it on good authority that no one knows how to switch the main spot lights off.

The whole point is the Haymarket will no longer be a shopping area and will be left for offices and accommodation. There are plenty of buses which go past the market but from the other direction. Moorfoot and Eyre street. Just as some shoppers will not venture there, then there are plenty of new shoppers who will and do. Shoppers from the other end of town and some who live close by.

Just seen that yet another betting shop is opening in the Haymarket. How many more can that area take?

I'm not sure that most shoppers from the south of Sheffield are the type who shop in markets.

I'm not sure that most shoppers from the south of Sheffield are the type who shop in markets.

It only needs a small % of them and there are lots of students as well as people who live in the city centre. If they sell the right products then people will go. I was talking to someone who noted that his regulars were coming back but also the new type of customer was capable of spending much more money. Theres always scope for people selling good products at good prices.

The market wont find its feet for another 24 months.

It only needs a small % of them and there are lots of students as well as people who live in the city centre. If they sell the right products then people will go. I was talking to someone who noted that his regulars were coming back but also the new type of customer was capable of spending much more money. Theres always scope for people selling good products at good prices.

The market wont find its feet for another 24 months.

Folk who shopped at the old market tended to travel by bus or tram. Folk from the south of the city tend to prefer their cars. If they are coming from S11 they pass the Waitrose on their way where they can buy pretty much anything they could in the market. They can also park for free in the car park at Waitrose and unload their shopping trolley straight into their cars.

I'm sure some of them will take a look at the new market before they resume their shopping at Sainsbury's, Morrison's or Tesco. For those looking to save a few quid they can park and shop conveniently in the Aldi or Lidl.

Edited by Emily Moore

Folk who shopped at the old market tended to travel by bus or tram. Folk from the south of the city tend to prefer their cars. If they are coming from S11 they pass the Waitrose on their way where they can buy pretty much anything they could in the market. They can also park for free in the car park at Waitrose and unload their shopping trolley straight into their cars.

I'm sure some of them will take a look at the new market before they resume their shopping at Sainsbury's, Morrison's or Tesco. For those looking to save a few quid they can park and shop conveniently in the Aldi or Lidl.

You know not everyone shops at Waitrose or uses a car. Carry on with the generalisations though. How often each moth did you use the old market and how often do you use the new one?

So I'm just imagining the stacks of students who live in the centre who now have the market on their doorstep, the old market was at the other end of town and inconvenient now they have to walk past the market to get to Sainsbury's. There's also plenty of other folk who weren't in walking distance but are now spitting distance. Buses can be rerouted but having the market in the most populated part of the city centre, that's got to be a winner.

Used to go in the old market pretty much weekly certainly 3 out of 4 weeks per month. Used to buy all my fruit, veg, meat, and bread there. Never bought clothes there, they all looked like cheap crap to me and did not like the look of the shops or the people that sold them.

I have been in the new one 5 times now. Bought some meat, no veg or bread. I won't use the cafe's oops food outlets, there are no cafe's. Too many, too close together the smells of some are to me very off putting, especially the foreign stuff.

Some say it will take the place a couple of years to get itself established. They should have incorporated a car park that would have helped. I can't really see it surviving as a market once the 1st 12 months of rent subsidies finishes I doubt they will be able to compete with the supermarkets, which also do have their own free carparks.

Student trade will not be enough to keep the stalls going, though more students do I'm told now prefer to avoid the, warm em up at home if you dare, meal options the supermarkets sell.

But independent shops everywhere and of all types are having the life squeezed out of them by the supermarkets. As the little shops go, so does your freedom of choice.

You know not everyone shops at Waitrose or uses a car. Carry on with the generalisations though. How often each moth did you use the old market and how often do you use the new one?

I never used the old market, and probably won't use the new one either, but I live in S11 and drive a car which was my whole point. I'm not really sure what your point was.