The New Moor Market

Ha! Touche Monsieur Le Maquis

LeMaquis For someone so quick to criticise others that have made mistakes or minor errors I am surprised at you. Disheartened in fact. I had begun to believe in your superior pseudo friendly, left-wing french infalibilty, now I see you just another blogger that prefers to pull down rather than actually contribute or inform.

I've only been in the new market once or twice and hardly ever used Castle Market so I'm not really bothered about debating which one is better. However some people on here just want to put down the new market for the hell of it and will invent things or ignore things just to argue their case.

When someone makes a stupid comment like the one I quoted above I'll point it out. It was an example of someone slagging off the new market with an argument that was totally fallacious. It deserved to be ripped down. No one else did it but sometimes arguments that are crass should be commented on. Otherwise debates get led astray by dishonesty.

---------- Post added 15-02-2014 at 19:01 ----------

Whether or not the blame for the decline of the Moor as a shopping area should be directed towards the pedestrianisation of the Moor I can't possibly say. But back then when buses ran along its length there were nowhere near as many empty shops. During the rush hour the queues at the bus stops threatened to block the pavements.

Fargate is pedestrianised and hardly in decline. It takes less than 5 minutes to walk from one end of the Moor to the other but you can get off a bus within yards of the top and bottom, especially the bottom. People at Meadowhall do a lot more walking from their vehicle to the shops than people in the city centre and Meadowhall isn't in decline. Pedestrianisation for me isn't a contributory factor to the Moor's decline.

Ha! Touche Monsieur Le Maquis

LeMaquis For someone so quick to criticise others that have made mistakes or minor errors I am surprised at you. Disheartened in fact. I had begun to believe in your superior pseudo friendly, left-wing french infalibilty, now I see you just another blogger that prefers to pull down rather than actually contribute or inform.

The Moor used to be an extremely busy shopping centre with many buses running along it and at one time trams as many long term Sheffield residents will be aware..

People used to travel considerable distances in December to drive through Sheffield and obviously along the Moor and Fargate to view the Sheffield Christmas Lights. Which technically speaking we no longer have.

Whether or not the blame for the decline of the Moor as a shopping area should be directed towards the pedestrianisation of the Moor I can't possibly say. But back then when buses ran along its length there were nowhere near as many empty shops. During the rush hour the queues at the bus stops threatened to block the pavements.

The Moor was a thriving every day [and night] living breathing major part of Sheffield life when it was a major thoroughfare.

Aside from the Manpower services building being in the way the other problem the moor has is the buildings look decidedly shabby, the post-war architecture has not aged well. Now that the council are starting to do something about the lack of modern shopping units on the Moor and in fact in the city centre as a whole we should hopefully see the decline of the moor end, although I'd argue it'd be pretty difficult for it to decline any further than the state it was in before market construction began.

As for pedestrianisation, if a street is busy with people waiting for buses this is hardly good for business while it might have happened at the same time as the decline it can hardly be blamed for it and infact allows for street markets and other events to occur right in the city centre.

I've only been in the new market once or twice and hardly ever used Castle Market so I'm not really bothered about debating which one is better. However some people on here just want to put down the new market for the hell of it and will invent things or ignore things just to argue their case.

Would you give an example of the invented topics that you refer to please.

Because you are moaning about how difficult it is to get to the new market and how its doomed all the time. It is where it is and you arent going to change it. Life moves on. Just as you might find it harder to get to because its 10 mins further away other people find it easier. The market as a way of shopping was on a decline, just as retail in general is. Makes sense to group all the shops together in one spot imo.

Edited by 999tigger

The Moor was a thriving every day [and night] living breathing major part of Sheffield life when it was a major thoroughfare.

Which doesn't mean that pedestrianisation caused its decline. It is dead easy to get to the Moor by vehicle or on foot. There are car parks, bus stops and easy pedestrian access.

---------- Post added 15-02-2014 at 20:48 ----------

Would you give an example of the invented topics that you refer to please.

The one I quoted i.e. your argument that the new market was poor planning because it's on the Moor. The Moor is one of the main retail parts of Sheffield and has been for decades. To argue that putting a new market on the Moor is due to poor planning is ridiculous. But then you did say recently that parts of Sheffield are in Derbyshire.

Because you are moaning about how difficult it is to get to the new market and how its doomed all the time. It is where it is and you arent going to change it. Life moves on. Just as you might find it harder to get to because its 10 mins further away other people find it easier.

I have never moaned about how hard it is to get to for me personally.

I may have championed the case for the old Castle Market customers who's opinion was never asked as to the move.

I have also said that I liked the building when I first visited it.

As to any criticism then I have as much right to criticise as you.

However my criticism will not get personal .

P.S. How many times do you use the Market;)

I used to use the old market about about once a week and use the new one about 3 times a week or more.

I dont know if the old customers were asked, but Im sure there was ample opportunity for them to contact the council and make contributions via planning or just leaving a note to say what their views were. All this stuff about the tram not going to the new one, well the market managed before a tram existed.

Comparing things with 30-40 years ago doesnt really get you very far. It has been built now and notwithstanding then rents, then its up to the stallholders to sell the right things that people will wnat to buy. Some of them will and others will not. Time moves on.