The New Moor Market

They were non existent although the tram was two minutes away.

The new Moor Mall has neither, good planning that , Int it.

The Apcoa car park is directly opposite the Moor Market hall http://www.apcoa.co.uk/carparks/the-moor-sheffield. 2 hours car parking in this secure multi-storey is £3.20.

The nearest tram stop is West Street, simply walk down Fitzwilliam Street to Moorfoot.

Alternatively from Castle Square tram stop cross over the road to High Street where buses 75,76,79,79A,87,97 and 98 will take you to Moorfoot and combined provide a bus every few minutes. The tram conductor can sell you an all day ticket that includes Stagecoach buses for £4.

Edited by Andy C

The Apcoa car park is directly opposite the Moor Market hall http://www.apcoa.co.uk/carparks/the-moor-sheffield. 2 hours car parking in this secure multi-storey is £3.20.

The nearest tram stop is West Street, simply walk down Fitzwilliam Street to Moorfoot.

Alternatively from Castle Square tram stop cross over the road to High Street where buses 75,76,79,79A,87,97 and 98 will take you to Moorfoot and combined provide a bus every few minutes. The tram conductor can sell you an all day ticket that includes Stagecoach buses for £4.

Or you can catch the 79, 25, 75 from right outside the old market plus all the rest. Not everyone uses the tram and its a short bus ride away not 100 miles for goodness sake.

Plus you cna yse the bluebell woods car park for 50p an hour and thats 5 mins away.

I used to use the old market about about once a week and use the new one about 3 times a week or more.

I dont know if the old customers were asked, but Im sure there was ample opportunity for them to contact the council and make contributions via planning or just leaving a note to say what their views were. All this stuff about the tram not going to the new one, well the market managed before a tram existed.

Comparing things with 30-40 years ago doesnt really get you very far. It has been built now and notwithstanding then rents, then its up to the stallholders to sell the right things that people will wnat to buy. Some of them will and others will not. Time moves on.

Some of em did contact the council .

Any way 12 months or so will tell if it has been a good move or not.

Which doesn't mean that pedestrianisation caused its decline. It is dead easy to get to the Moor by vehicle or on foot. There are car parks, bus stops and easy pedestrian access.

---------- Post added 15-02-2014 at 20:48 ----------

The one I quoted i.e. your argument that the new market was poor planning because it's on the Moor. The Moor is one of the main retail parts of Sheffield and has been for decades. To argue that putting a new market on the Moor is due to poor planning is ridiculous. But then you did say recently that parts of Sheffield are in Derbyshire.

My quote on Derbyshire was based on certain Sheffield ring roads where the border is the actual road.

A part of Birchitt Rd in Bradway is also in Derbyshire according to my AZ Sheffield guide.

Recent boundry changes have once again moved the goal posts as far as Mosborough is concerned.

A house in Holmsfield has this week been advertised as being "Holmsfield Sheffield" in the Star newspaper, so who knows I don't.

Thanks PT. I'm after some Campden tablets, so looks like a trip to Woodseats.

Wilkinsons sell them but there is no way of checking if they have them in stock, but you can order on-line to pick up in the store which takes a couple of days.

Must admit a brew-it-yourself store in Sheffield is sorely needed, going to Brewmart is OK if you have transport but a pain to get to on the bus.

Whether completion of the building work that is being undertaken presently on the Moor will be suffice reamains to be seen.

If it going to take anywhere near as long to complete as the new market did then I am not optimistic. I'm not encouraged by the length of time it has already taken to clear the site.

I don't have the exact figure but it looks like around 50% of the shop frontage on the Moor is presently for units that are not trading, for what ever reason. Pound land and TJ Hughes for example moved, but thay leaves empty units so the shopping experience may be slightly enhanced but is little different. There is also room for more outside market stalls that do not appear to be being taken up.

Fargate is a busy shopping area, or looks it, but how much of it is really contributing to the shopping experience and enhancing the viability of Sheffield centre as a shopping and entertainment area. How often do people really buy mobile phones, nearly 1/3 of the shopping frontage on Fargate is Phone shops. If the Moor follows suit then it will hardly be a worthwhile as a shopping experience.

Its only an observation; but given how many stalls there were in its hayday, Castle market, it's fish meat & veg area and the outdoor markets were thriving. Closing the big outdoor market and then building sheaf market seems to have heralded the decline of the Sheffield Market scene generally. The Wicker went into decline at about the same time. Sheaf market did not really last all that long. Its outdor market didn't either and what ever happened to all the stalls on Dixon Lane. The few active Kings Street stalls have little to offer these days.

Chesterfield, Rotherham and Barnsley I think as shopping centres would go into serious decline were it not for their markets. Something just went sadly wrong in Sheffield and I have no idea why. Some say its the high rents in Sheffield I am not in a position to comment on that.

Whether completion of the building work that is being undertaken presently on the Moor will be suffice reamains to be seen.

If it going to take anywhere near as long to complete as the new market did then I am not optimistic. I'm not encouraged by the length of time it has already taken to clear the site.

I don't have the exact figure but it looks like around 50% of the shop frontage on the Moor is presently for units that are not trading, for what ever reason. Pound land and TJ Hughes for example moved, but thay leaves empty units so the shopping experience may be slightly enhanced but is little different. There is also room for more outside market stalls that do not appear to be being taken up.

Fargate is a busy shopping area, or looks it, but how much of it is really contributing to the shopping experience and enhancing the viability of Sheffield centre as a shopping and entertainment area. How often do people really buy mobile phones, nearly 1/3 of the shopping frontage on Fargate is Phone shops. If the Moor follows suit then it will hardly be a worthwhile as a shopping experience.

Its only an observation; but given how many stalls there were in its hayday, Castle market, it's fish meat & veg area and the outdoor markets were thriving. Closing the big outdoor market and then building sheaf market seems to have heralded the decline of the Sheffield Market scene generally. The Wicker went into decline at about the same time. Sheaf market did not really last all that long. Its outdor market didn't either and what ever happened to all the stalls on Dixon Lane. The few active Kings Street stalls have little to offer these days.

Chesterfield, Rotherham and Barnsley I think as shopping centres would go into serious decline were it not for their markets. Something just went sadly wrong in Sheffield and I have no idea why. Some say its the high rents in Sheffield I am not in a position to comment on that.

Have you not noticed that in the last 50 years people have changed the way they shop?

They go out of town or to supermarkets with everything under one roof. They use cars more often because more people have them. Notice again that the traditional high street is changing and people are now shopping more online.

That means things change including the number of regular high street shops or the amount of people who want to shop in a market. Its happening all over the country because things change.