The New Moor Market

I don't see why they should cost much to build. Only some wooden trestles and awnings.

Unfortunately consruction projects do cost a lot these days. How much do you think you could build one for? Where would you build it? Your market would just be some wooden trestles and awnings?

Tommo I wouldnt let it bother you the thread has been going on for a while. Lots of moaners who hark back to times past. It isnt perfect, but the environment of a market in sheffield is very different than that 40 years ago. I hope it adapts and succeeds for the health of the city.

the council didn't buy the land...it was given to them by Scottish widows on condition that the council borrowed the money from them.

This is why they have to repay 1.1M a year, which also made the rents so high to repay the loan

And over how many years is the question.

Perhaps the timescale may be even longer than the Don Valley Stadium fiasco.

And like the Don Valley is it another case of why did we need it at all.

And over how many years is the question.

Perhaps the timescale may be even longer than the Don Valley Stadium fiasco.

And like the Don Valley is it another case of why did we need it at all.

So cuttsie tell us all what you would have done. Are you sauing we didnt need a new market and the old one was doing just fine?

If you are going to do soemthing else then how much would it cost and where would you bet getting the money from?

So cuttsie tell us all what you would have done. Are you sauing we didnt need a new market and the old one was doing just fine?

If you are going to do soemthing else then how much would it cost and where would you bet getting the money from?

They tell me that Wonga or one of the other Money usurers like Scottish Widows are good.

the council didn't buy the land...it was given to them by Scottish widows on condition that the council borrowed the money from them.

This is why they have to repay 1.1M a year, which also made the rents so high to repay the loan

This sounds like a good deal to me, wherever they built the market they needed land, imagine how much they'd been paying if they'd had to buy the land as well as well as fund the construction. I also thought rents where comparable to Crystal Peaks, sure it's going to be a shock to the system when compared with the discounted rates at Castle Market but those were like that simply because of the neglect of the facilities offered at Castle Market. We couldn't leave Castle Market like that, even if the naysayers got what they wanted and Castle Market was revamped the rents would go up anyway.

Edited by smiggs

Apparently its about the service charge as well which is much higher. Going through the market today I realised theres a full half of it which has zero interest for me and I will never walk down those aisles again.

A high service charge would seem odd, it should be cheaper to service a modern building than a neglected old one.

I only really use the market for food, don't really see the appeal of the rest but it takes all sorts I guess.