The New Moor Market

There cannot be any empty stalls as the management has already stated that the applications are over subscribed .

Which is a shame as some of the old stallholders from the Castle Market were refused stalls due to not having a proper business plan .

One of these applicants was an immigrant who found filling in forms a pain in the arse and so lost the opportunity to make a living for him self and his family.

I find it somewhat irritating that they couldn't provide business planning assistance to these stallholders, seems daft to leave them by the wayside if their business had managed to survive at Castle Market surely the glorious new market would present better opportunities for most stallholders. I do think it's a good idea for the council to vet applications though the market would not benefit from fly by night traders.

There cannot be any empty stalls as the management has already stated that the applications are over subscribed .

Which is a shame as some of the old stallholders from the Castle Market were refused stalls due to not having a proper business plan .

One of these applicants was an immigrant who found filling in forms a pain in the arse and so lost the opportunity to make a living for him self and his family.

1. We dont know the truth of it, but he running and pr for the market has been poor. It is suspicious that none of the supposedly just moving in stores have failed to materialise since the opening.

2. I dont think asking for a business plan is unreasonable. the market will want long term profitable tenants that have a chance to survive and florusih. They have to manage the mix of stalls for its overall health.

3. Being unable to provide a business plan is poor. Not being bothered enough to fill out forms and apply like everyone else is just the sort of person you want to aboid. Perhaps the person should look at himself and his lost opportunity to make a living becayse its his own fault. If he had difficulty then he will have had ample time to get someone to help him. perhaps you could have helped cuttsie?

It does seem to me that the council has sat back for years and watched the gradual decline of the markets. If you think of the amount of stalls now compared to even Sheaf Market. Personally I think Castle Market and Sheaf Markets should never have been closed, and money spent on improvements paid for by an increase in rents but surely not as much of an increase in rent as moving to Moorfoot.

1. We dont know the truth of it, but he running and pr for the market has been poor. It is suspicious that none of the supposedly just moving in stores have failed to materialise since the opening.

2. I dont think asking for a business plan is unreasonable. the market will want long term profitable tenants that have a chance to survive and florusih. They have to manage the mix of stalls for its overall health.

3. Being unable to provide a business plan is poor. Not being bothered enough to fill out forms and apply like everyone else is just the sort of person you want to aboid. Perhaps the person should look at himself and his lost opportunity to make a living becayse its his own fault. If he had difficulty then he will have had ample time to get someone to help him. perhaps you could have helped cuttsie?

Being unable to spell or run spellcheck is also poor.

If he couldn't be bothered filling in the forms he didn't lose the opportunity, he gave it away.

Having said that, I agree it's looking fishy that there's so many stalls still not open. A bit of transparency here wouldn't go amiss.

If he couldn't be bothered filling in the forms he didn't lose the opportunity, he gave it away.

Having said that, I agree it's looking fishy that there's so many stalls still not open. A bit of transparency here wouldn't go amiss.

Perhaps if some on his forum were refugees or immigrants who perhaps found a foreign language a little difficult then they also would give away opportunity.

Makes you I wonder if the business plan the council put together for the new market envisaged so many empty stalls at this stage?

Perhaps if some on his forum were refugees or immigrants who perhaps found a foreign language a little difficult then they also would give away opportunity.

If he runs a business then would he be incapable of asking for assistance in filling out the forms? he could have asked the market management or he could have asked anyone who was a friend who spoke his language or one to any of the copmmunity associations. It seems more like he couldnt be bothered by the way you tell it.

---------- Post added 20-02-2014 at 18:39 ----------

Update

Crawshaws will be staying in the market as well as opening the shop on the Moor.

It Looks like one of the major fishmongers has quit. I think there were 3 including Tissingtons.

I am told there are now 30 empty units, but at the same time people actually trying to rent them. It is curious about why it is taking so long? Maybe it isnt the market, but the applicants who have to get their finances in order etc. Am still a bit mystified why they couldnt have gotten all this sorted out sooner when the site was known about for years?

I popped in to the market and stopped off at the info desk and asked the guy there how many empty units there were, he said 18 although I didn't actually go round counting them all. There is a market manager so it must be possible to contact him so maybe if people start asking him directly why the stalls are empty and who was telling porkies the Star or the council, if I have a bit of time next week I intend to send him an email myself as although I don't have a great deal of need for the market neither do I want it to struggle to survive through bad management.

I popped in to the market and stopped off at the info desk and asked the guy there how many empty units there were, he said 18 although I didn't actually go round counting them all. There is a market manager so it must be possible to contact him so maybe if people start asking him directly why the stalls are empty and who was telling porkies the Star or the council, if I have a bit of time next week I intend to send him an email myself as although I don't have a great deal of need for the market neither do I want it to struggle to survive through bad management.

Go round and count them yourself. They are mostly in one area. I counted 23 a few weeks ago. I was in today. Ill have a recount the next time. There are a couple of vacant food places as well as meat/fish units. 95% occupancy to break even is pretty high. Perhaps they have factored all these empty units in the early years?