The New Moor Market

Roger an out only served in halves for your own safety.

It used to be served in 1/3 pint glasses, and you were permitted only three of those per person, because of the sheer strength of it. I believe it was about the strongest beer you could get.

(remembers her boozing days wistfully lol)

Are you happy paying £2.60 for a beer that you could buy for £1?

But you still haven't told me which beers are on sale for £2.60 that you can get for £1.

You've quoted breweries but not beers.

This isn't nitpicking or snobbery. I buy 99p beers in Aldi and that place in Hillsborough but I don't then go on forums slagging off other outlets for selling completely different beers at a higher price.

It is akin to slating Cocoa for selling blocks of chocolate at £3.95 because you can get a block of dairy milk at Poundland. Or moaning at the price of a bottle of Chateaux Lafitte because ASDA does something from France for £2.99.

Roger and out was served in 1/3 of a pint glasses. You received, if you wanted one, a certificate for each one you drank, the first was green, the second yellow with double writing, the third red with triple writing.

Only a few regulars were allowed to have more than 3 glasses in a single session.

Many are the idiots, or unwary, that would drink three then collapse on leaving as the fresh air hit them.

It was, I 'm told, at one time in the Guiness Book of Records as the world's strongest commercially available beer. It may of course be another of those urban myths, a bit like their being honest politicians or solicitors.

Tommo what public seating gives you respite from the rain and sun?

There are public toilets but they are expensive to maintain.

What else would you like to bring back from ancient Rome?

I think that was the only thing he mentions, but as someone remarked before,in a so called civilised country drinking water should be freely available to all.

Is a homeless person supposed to go without a drink of water outside shop opening hours?

Even the Victorians had drinking fountains freely available to all in town centers, etc.

The railway station is an example of what's wrong. It has notices up saying,not drinking water,even though as far as I can see,it is connected to a mains water supply,but never mind,they will sell you a small bottle of colored fizzy water for around £1.70.

The railway station is an example of what's wrong. It has notices up saying,not drinking water,even though as far as I can see,it is connected to a mains water supply,but never mind,they will sell you a small bottle of colored fizzy water for around £1.70.

It will say "not drinking water" because there is no guarantees about it's hygiene. It will contain rainwater, bird poo, people's skin from sitting with their feet in it in summer and lots of other contaminants. Making it guaranteed suitable for drinking would be a hideous waste of money compared to just fitting a water fountain.

If you're desperate for a glass of water - go into the Tap or any other licensed premises,

Roger and out was served in 1/3 of a pint glasses. You received, if you wanted one, a certificate for each one you drank, the first was green, the second yellow with double writing, the third red with triple writing.

Only a few regulars were allowed to have more than 3 glasses in a single session.

Many are the idiots, or unwary, that would drink three then collapse on leaving as the fresh air hit them.

It was, I 'm told, at one time in the Guiness Book of Records as the world's strongest commercially available beer. It may of course be another of those urban myths, a bit like their being honest politicians or solicitors.

It certainly was in the Guinness Book of Records, but I fear the reputation exceeded reality.

From the 1993 CAMRA Good Beer Guide.

Whitbread malt extract brew pub. Roger & Out is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's strongest beer and is also sold in nip bottles. Beers are kept under a CO2 blanket in casks and are made available to four other pubs.

Governor's Stealth Warning

Beware

Roger & Out

THE WORLD'S STRONGEST BEER!

(Guiness Book of Records 1988-1991)

with an Original Gravity of 1125 and must be respected because it may creep up on you.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

At 1125 OG it was the strength of a modest wine. A pint is about 15% short of a bottle of wine. So 3 glasses would be less hazardous than knocking back a bottle of wine. Indeed. I was having a few pints in a pub a couple of weekend ago and 2 very loud women were finishing their meal. At the end of it they had 5 wine bottles on the table. At the end of their meal they paid the bill, picked up a half drunk bottle apiece and headed for home, having consumed around 2 bottles each over a steak and chips.

It certainly was in the Guinness Book of Records, but I fear the reputation exceeded reality.

At 1125 OG it was the strength of a modest wine. A pint is about 15% short of a bottle of wine. So 3 glasses would be less hazardous than knocking back a bottle of wine. Indeed. I was having a few pints in a pub a couple of weekend ago and 2 very loud women were finishing their meal. At the end of it they had 5 wine bottles on the table. At the end of their meal they paid the bill, picked up a half drunk bottle apiece and headed for home, having consumed around 2 bottles each over a steak and chips.

True enough it was not that strong a drink, nor would a pint be over much for most.

The 1/3 glasses and relevent certificates were a mildly amusing marketing ploy, which worked to some extent. As did the world's strongest beer rumours.

The big problem with Roger & Out was not the regula,r or sane drinkers, it was usually the younger members of the drinking fraternity that had invariably consumed more than was good for them before they even entered the Frog & Parrot. It was the combination of R&O landing on top of however much from elsewhere that often proved to be their downfall.

I've never heard of anyone before thinking Viz is intellectual. I think Viz could create a character based on someone so dim they find the Daily Sport a bit too abstruse; SF's Cuttsie - Brains like a Carsey.

It's more likely to be Roger Irrelevant :hihi:

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 12:23 ----------

From the 1993 CAMRA Good Beer Guide.

Whitbread malt extract brew pub. Roger & Out is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's strongest beer and is also sold in nip bottles. Beers are kept under a CO2 blanket in casks and are made available to four other pubs.

Governor's Stealth Warning

Beware

Roger & Out

THE WORLD'S STRONGEST BEER!

(Guiness Book of Records 1988-1991)

with an Original Gravity of 1125 and must be respected because it may creep up on you.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Wow, there was a chance missed (or not?) LOL