The New Moor Market

It's a lot better than Castle Market. Give it time, I'm sure it'll be great:D

I honestly do not think it is big enough to develop a worthwhile ambience of it's own. Not like the old one used to have in its heyday.

Though I'm sure it will benefit from customers not having to run a gauntlet of some of the folks that used to congregate around the main entrance of the old one.

I honestly do not think it is big enough to develop a worthwhile ambience of it's own. Not like the old one used to have in its heyday.

Though I'm sure it will benefit from customers not having to run a gauntlet of some of the folks that used to congregate around the main entrance of the old one.

Who were these folks ,how did they threaten you ,Did they assault you or is perhaps that you are a superior being to the general mix that is as most of mankind .

Who were these folks ,how did they threaten you ,Did they assault you or is perhaps that you are a superior being to the general mix that is as most of mankind .

Who knows who they were, but they certainly put a fair number of people off visiting the Castle Market.

Or it would still be there.

There certainly were people that hung around at the entrance, but they didnt put me off and I normally used the side way in. They were more a symptom of decline rather than the cause of it.

Sheffield castle was built in 1270 and then knocked down in the 1640s after the civil war.

People might have noticed some stalls have quit already.

It was the perception rather than the reality that put people off to be fair.

I sort of agree. But, you must admit that it wasn't very welcoming.

I've shopped more in the new market than I did in twenty years of the old one. Despite the fact that my mum used to take me there weekly when I was little.

My mum worked in the old market for well over a decade, up till it closed, and never had any trouble from the "steps" "chavs", all 5'2" of her. I agree it wasn't welcoming, but for me that was more the run down state that led you to question hygiene, the toilets who's fragrance became more acceptable after a #2, and the general area.

Went last week for a nosey. Was not impressed at all. Small, cramped and boring. Went to buy a bag and the staff were more interested in gossiping about the previous customer (and not in flattering terms) to attend to present ones.

I did find a Chinese stall and managed to get a few goodies I had been after for ages and the staff there were lovely, very helpful and friendly.

I'm glad I went because although I won't be going back there unless to the Chinese stall, I did rediscover Atkinsons and bought myself a few goodies from their kitchen ware section.

Who knows who they were, but they certainly put a fair number of people off visiting the Castle Market.

Or it would still be there.

I think a lot of them hung out around the betting shops that took over that part of town. The new market will probably attract a few more betting shops onto the Moor and the layabouts will follow.

---------- Post added 03-03-2014 at 09:17 ----------

There does seem to be a lack of stalls. I think they may be having trouble with takeup despite the place being half the size of the old one.

I think a lot of them hung out around the betting shops that took over that part of town. The new market will probably attract a few more betting shops onto the Moor and the layabouts will follow.

---------- Post added 03-03-2014 at 09:17 ----------

There does seem to be a lack of stalls. I think they may be having trouble with takeup despite the place being half the size of the old one.

But the Management and Council told all the media that the New Market was over subscribed and that they were sifting through to find the best applicants .

At the same time they were refusing others as being not up to the image of a Market:rolleyes: