The New Moor Market

Castle Market became a right dump. Who want's a market full of druggies and alcoholics. Especially if you've got kids.

My mum worked in the old market for well over a decade, up till it closed, and never had any trouble from the "steps" "chavs", all 5'2" of her. I agree it wasn't welcoming, but for me that was more the run down state that led you to question hygiene, the toilets who's fragrance became more acceptable after a #2, and the general area.

But isn't that down to the regime and regularity of cleaning. Unless that has changed it will just carry over to the new place.

My mum worked in the old market for well over a decade, up till it closed, and never had any trouble from the "steps" "chavs", all 5'2" of her. I agree it wasn't welcoming, but for me that was more the run down state that led you to question hygiene, the toilets who's fragrance became more acceptable after a #2, and the general area.

That was down to the management and Council ,it seemed to be as though they actually planned the Castle Markets downfall.

That was down to the management and Council ,it seemed to be as though they actually planned the Castle Markets downfall.

I will be interested to see how the new market fares in the longer term. It was surprising to see the level of rents and service charges on the new pitches. For example a 15 foot by 20 foot pitch would cost around £25,000 per annum and a bit of storage space another £2,000 on top of that. The cafe rents were even higher.

Of course all is well at the moment as traders were offered a 6 month rent free period, so it will be in a couple of months when the reality will set in.

I will be interested to see how the new market fares in the longer term. It was surprising to see the level of rents and service charges on the new pitches. For example a 15 foot by 20 foot pitch would cost around £25,000 per annum and a bit of storage space another £2,000 on top of that. The cafe rents were even higher.

Of course all is well at the moment as traders were offered a 6 month rent free period, so it will be in a couple of months when the reality will set in.

They are meant to be the same level of rents as Crystal Peaks and that is doing quite well.

The rent free periods also include 6 months at half rent. the discounts do not apply to all stallks.

The service charge is quite high.

Cuttsie its ridiculous you keep blaming the council and cnat accept that shoppers deserted the markets becayse they prefer to do their weekly shop at the supermarket and they cna use their cars as well.

They are meant to be the same level of rents as Crystal Peaks and that is doing quite well.

The rent free periods also include 6 months at half rent. the discounts do not apply to all stallks.

Cuttsie its ridiculous you keep blaming the council and cnat accept that shoppers deserted the markets becayse they prefer to do their weekly shop at the supermarket and they cna use their cars as well.

Rent and service charge at Crystal Peaks is typically £1000 per 100 square feet less at Crystal Peaks.It is probably quite right to point out that folk with cars like to take them when they do their shopping. I called at Sainsburys this morning and the car park was rammed, as were the trolleys of those shopping there. I'm at a loss to come up with any reason why a person who owned a car would choose to park it hundreds of metres from where they shop, pay for the privilege of doing so and then stagger back in the pouring rain with 30 kilos of shopping bursting out of carrier bags when you can park in an undercover car park and use the store lift to get their loaded trolley to their car in the dry.

Incidentally Crystal Peaks has a very large FREE car park.

Edited by Uptowngirl

Rent and service charge at Crystal Peaks is typically £1000 per 100 square feet less at Crystal Peaks.It is probably quite right to point out that folk with cars like to take them when they do their shopping. I called at Sainsburys this morning and the car park was rammed, as were the trolleys of those shopping there. I'm at a loss to come up with any reason why a person who owned a car would choose to park it hundreds of metres from where they shop, pay for the privilege of doing so and then stagger back in the pouring rain with 30 kilos of shopping bursting out of carrier bags when you can park in an undercover car park and use the store lift to get their loaded trolley to their car in the dry.

Incidentally Crystal Peaks has a very large FREE car park.

I just make the distinction between the two because the council dont always mention the service charge.

Cuttsie is a separate issue completely. Nothing that happens in the future will ever be right unless its back on the castle market site.

Is the parking you mention re: crystal peaks sainsbury or the market? If its about the market then theres plenty of parking space close by. I cnat see you would wnat to spend longer than an hour in the market and 2 would be pushing it to the extreme.

NCP car park next door. Discount if you hand parking ticket in.

Bluebell woods car park 50p an hour, maybe about 100m walk.

Decathlon is free.

Dont think its really an issue or is the thing holding back this market. I'd be more concerned about whats inside. I mentioned supermarkets as an example of changing shopping trends.

Near mind Tigger I will keep on being ridiculous while reading your posts with an open mind and interest.

I just make the distinction between the two because the council dont always mention the service charge.

Cuttsie is a separate issue completely. Nothing that happens in the future will ever be right unless its back on the castle market site.

Is the parking you mention re: crystal peaks sainsbury or the market? If its about the market then theres plenty of parking space close by. I cnat see you would wnat to spend longer than an hour in the market and 2 would be pushing it to the extreme.

NCP car park next door. Discount if you hand parking ticket in.

Bluebell woods car park 50p an hour, maybe about 100m walk.

Decathlon is free.

Dont think its really an issue or is the thing holding back this market. I'd be more concerned about whats inside. I mentioned supermarkets as an example of changing shopping trends.

I'm not a great fan of food shopping. Shoes and clothes is a different matter, but food shopping isn't great. So like many others I go to the supermarket and park my car. I stick wine, beer, meat, veg, bottled sauces etc into a trolley and head for the checkout. The weight may easily be 30 kilos. I don't want to carry that at all. I just want to push my trolley up to my car and stick everything in the boot and head for the gym/pub/restaurant/work/uni...whatever I would rather be doing than shopping. I don't want to take an hour. I want it over in 20 minutes. But the last thing I want to do is stagger out onto a pavement with shopping bags regardless of how little distance I have to walk with them.

So Sainsburies is OK. I hate the place but if it rains I don't get wet. I'm in and out in 20 minutes max. I can even have my car washed whilst I'm shopping. It's the modern way and allows me to get on with what I want to be doing.