Buses and people

VicD

When my Auntie Lily and Uncle Harold had a newsagents at the bottom of Gower Street, to get rid of me and my cousin Tony she would give us the fare to get on the inner circular bus, sometimes even the outer circular, anyone else remember these routes. While I'm at it, you could spend quite a lot of the day in The News Cinema, I think thats what it was called, in Fitzalan Square, none stop cartoons. And before I go, anyone know Sarah Vickers, she will be in her mid sixties, lived somewhere round Endcliffe Park I think.

I never understood at the time, but I went to brownies, sunday school, the playcentre at night at Springfield school, girls life brigade,there was a sunday school type place at the top of fitzwilliam street that we went to after the playcentre, the Salvation Army citadel off Pinstone street.I come from a big family ;0)

Oh the News Theatre - yep, despite the name it was non-stop cartoons. And the Nos 2 & 3 Outer Circle - here's where it went:

....Malin Bridge

....Walkley Bank Road

....Hagg Hill

....Oak Farm

....Rivelin Post Office

....Bell Hagg

....Sandygate Road

....Fulwood Road

....Wragby Road

....Greystone Road

....Carterknowle Road Top

....Carterknowle Road Bottom

....Firbeck Road

....Scarsdale Road

....Graves Park

....Golf Links

....Oakes Park

....Gleadless Road

....Gleadless Church

....Elm Tree

....Beaumont Road

....Darnall

....Coleford Road

....Tinsley Park Road

....Tinsley Depot (Weedon Steet)

....Brightside Tram Terminus

....Tipton Street

....Newman Road Bottom

....Robin Hood Road

....Shiregreen Cemetery

....Sheffield Lane Top

....Crowder Road

....Moonshine Lane

....Penistone Road

....Parkside Road

....Hillsborough Corner

....Malin Bridge

Were there two buses running on opposite directions?..
Yes - the No 2 went in the direction as shown in the timetable I linked in post #7 and the No 3 took the same route in the opposite direction. Some buses didn't go all the way round, such as Bellhouse Road to Malin Bridge (the ones shown with an asterisk in the timetable). In 1970 the complete circular route ended with Rivelin Valley Road and Manchester Road missed out.

Archived