What's great about Great Britain?

lien1

Yes but will I get a home rent free, don't have to work , can't Speke the language and claim benefits ,it's only gt Britain to the people coming here not for people who have worked hard all there lives :)

I'm not sure whether this is very clever trolling, irony at its finest, or rank stupidity.

Yes but will I get a home rent free, don't have to work , can't Speke the language and claim benefits ,it's only gt Britain to the people coming here not for people who have worked hard all there lives :)

Only if that same EU country was rich enough to have already had those conditions prior to becoming a member of the EU. If they were a poor country that joined, probably not. But that's what the EU is all about, helping those poor countries become rich, like ours, in time!

since when is great Britain a country ? my nationality is English. not british. iam british also, iam also English. the welsh say they are welsh, the scots say they are Scottish and the english say they are british. take the 6 nations rugby, England, Ireland, Scotland and wales all participate as an individual nation, I wish everyone would make up their minds. This stupid situation needs some clarity

Can anyone please tell me what's great about our once proud country!

When you see what's happening on the news,

our borders open for almost anyone. In the new year ,our nhs is under

Strain can't cope with the high demand no jobs in my opinion the uk is a dump

Why do we put up with this and what can be done ,I am no longer proud to be British I find it so sad :|

Do YOU vote liebour lid dem or tory,if you do I suggest you think very hard next time you vote.

since when is great Britain a country ? my nationality is English. not british. iam british also, iam also English. the welsh say they are welsh, the scots say they are Scottish and the english say they are british. take the 6 nations rugby, England, Ireland, Scotland and wales all participate as an individual nation, I wish everyone would make up their minds. This stupid situation needs some clarity

Try reading this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_Kingdom

Lost me, this country is Great Britain, Sheffield is located in Great Britain I said it's the only country to have the prefix Great, so what's your point please.

Pete

If I remember rightly, at school we were told that;

England, Scotland and Wales constitute the United Kingdom:

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland constitutes Britain:

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern and Southern Ireland constitutes Great Britain.

No doubt someone will put me right if that's not correct.

And it's still a great place to live compared with other places.

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern and Southern Ireland constitutes Great Britain.

It's not.

Britain isn't really anything - just a shortened version of Great Britain or The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is the name of the largest of the British Isles.

The British Isles are the numerous islands, including Great Britain and Ireland.

The United Kingdom is a shortened version of the name of the Sovereign State officially called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (formerly The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)

It's pretty simple really!

It's not.

Britain isn't really anything - just a shortened version of Great Britain or The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is the name of the largest of the British Isles.

The British Isles are the numerous islands, including Great Britain and Ireland.

The United Kingdom is a shortened version of the name of the Sovereign State officially called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (formerly The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)

It's pretty simple really!

Is it?

It seems from many replies the proud, loyal and patriotic don't even know there own nationality.

And it's still a great place to live compared with other places.

If they told you that at school you should ask for a refund :).

England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland constitute the United Kingdom.

Britain consists of England, Scotland & Wales. Ireland is a separate country. Currently six counties of which, located in the north eastern part of the country remain part of the United Kingdom.

Ireland is not, & never has been, part of Britain.

This is somewhat ironic, in that whilst most English, Scottish & Welsh people who are asked what they are, will say English, Scottish or Welsh although born in Britain. Meanwhile, the Northern Irish so called 'Loyalist' people will invariably retort that they are British, despite being the only ones not born in Britain. :).

This fact is born out by looking at the front of a British passport. There is no mention of England,Scotland or Wales because they are included in 'Great Britain' Northern Ireland however is referred to specifically as it is a separate entity.

With regard to the OP's question, as has been pointed out previously the Great was merely a geographical term & shouldn't be taken literally by jingoistic clowns.

Having said which, there are many good things about this country & taken all in all it's a very good place to live.

However, as moaning is our national pastime, & one which we are definitely world class at, I don't expect everyone will agree :).

With regard to the OP's question, as has been pointed out previously the Great was merely a geographical term & shouldn't be taken literally by jingoistic clowns.

I wonder if the same people visit the Great Orme and come away disappointed when they discover it's just a hill?

Archived