What's great about Great Britain?

lien1

Pigeon & dosxuk. Then why does it say 'Great Britain' on the front of a British passport?

Mine says:

EUROPEAN UNION

UNITED KINGDOM OF

GREAT BRITAIN

AND NORTHERN IRELAND

[image]

PASSPORT

[chip icon]

Looking at Wikipedia, they said UK back in 1924. Is yours a fake?

Mine says:

Looking at Wikipedia, they said UK back in 1924. Is yours a fake?

You're confusing me. Pigeon stated at post 43 that they haven't called it Great Britain for years.

You replied in post 44 ' 213 years to be precise'.

I then pointed out that the description 'Great Britain' is used on the British passport.

In your post at 53 you go to the trouble of actually copying out the wording on your passport with the words 'Great Britain' included. Thus proving the point that the description is still used.

Not only that, it's used on the one piece of official documentation that is used to identify the place to the rest of the world.

Note the use of 'of' following United Kingdom.

As to my passport it says Ireland. No confusion whatsoever :).

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 15:06 ----------

Some juicy knowledge for you:

Thanks Wex, that was amusing, cannot see why anyone gets confused really :D.

You're confusing me. Pigeon stated at post 43 that they haven't called it Great Britain for years.

You replied in post 44 ' 213 years to be precise'.

The name of the state has not been Great Britain for 213 years. We have been the United Kingdom of Great Britain and [Northern] Ireland ever since. Great Britain hangs around in the full name not as a country/state name, but as a geographical term.

Thanks Wex, that was amusing, cannot see why anyone gets confused really :D.

The video pretty much covers where you are getting confused.

The name of the state has not been Great Britain for 213 years. We have been the United Kingdom of Great Britain and [Northern] Ireland ever since. Great Britain hangs around in the full name not as a country/state name, but as a geographical term.

The video pretty much covers where you are getting confused.

The confusion was caused by my interpretation of what you & Pigeon were saying.

Bearing in mind that the title of the thread is 'What's Great about Great Britain'.

It seemed to me that you & Pigeon were saying that those particular words were no longer in use.

I am fully aware of the fact that United Kingdom is used if Northern Ireland is included, as on the passport.

However, if you are referring only to the island containing England, Scotland & Wales then Great Britain is the correct description.

Wasn't trying to be 'funny' by the way, just puzzled as to why you seemed to think it was a redundant description. :)

Wasn't trying to be 'funny' by the way, just puzzled as to why you seemed to think it was a redundant description. :)

It is redundant as the name of a country. It's use today is as a geographical (as opposed to political) description.

The OP, who pigeon was replying to, was talking about great britain the country, not the island. That country has not existed since the United Kingdom was formed.

Archived