Boris's 'Greed is Good' speech

You haven't heard his speech. Or chosen to ignore it to make mischief. His suggestion was that we need to bring selection back into schools so that the poor clever children had as much chance in life as the wealthy. It is the opposite of what you are spinning

How many poor clever children would benefit as a result? Grammar schools accounted for 25% of schools. Assuming that meant 25% of kids then 75% would be downgraded. The 25% creamed off may or may not be better off as other factors come into play - general social mobility, the state of the economy, regional variations, etc.

There is less social mobility now for younger people although far more people go to university. Therefore education only plays a part.

Johnson is an upper class snob who only thinks that poor people should progress by being forced into an elitist system while those born into privilege keep their hands on the levers of power.

The best educational reform would be the abolition of public schools followed by the banning of those in them.

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 21:09 ----------

You're a wind up merchant Ron, you're quite good as we'll but your not fooling me.

That occurred to me but you can argue against his arguments because even if he doesn't believe them others do.

Boris also said success is related to IQ. Stating the bleeding obvious really.

Boris equates success with having a high salary. Money is not the main motivator for a wide range of very intelligent people (once an acceptable living standard has been reached). Hence we often end up with very similar types of people in top paying jobs, who end up making the same sorts of mistakes over and over again, usually related to greed, risk taking and lack of empathy ....

The loans were created by banks lending as much as they could to maximise profits.

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 20:53 ----------

the banks were instructed in the usa by the american gov to make these loans available to the poor to increase the diversity of lending no matter if they couldnt afford it......read some books!!

How many poor clever children would benefit as a result? Grammar schools accounted for 25% of schools. Assuming that meant 25% of kids then 75% would be downgraded. The 25% creamed off may or may not be better off as other factors come into play - general social mobility, the state of the economy, regional variations, etc.

There is less social mobility now for younger people although far more people go to university. Therefore education only plays a part.

Johnson is an upper class snob who only thinks that poor people should progress by being forced into an elitist system while those born into privilege keep their hands on the levers of power.

The best educational reform would be the abolition of public schools followed by the banning of those in them.

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 21:09 ----------

That occurred to me but you can argue against his arguments because even if he doesn't believe them others do.

There was much more social mobility when we had grammar schools. Boris is upper middle class, I'm middle class too. I knock about with people from ALL social strata. I want people to do well (except criminals) through their own hard work or even luck. I don't think they should be dragged down just cause they have done well, whether inherited, won or earned, but the more entrepreneurs we have the better. They provide jobs, taxes and keep people from the depression that is unemployment. I also strongly believe that Boris wants self-made people to do well also.

There was much more social mobility when we had grammar schools. Boris is upper middle class, I'm middle class too. I knock about with people from ALL social strata. I want people to do well (except criminals) through their own hard work or even luck. I don't think they should be dragged down just cause they have done well, whether inherited, won or earned, but the more entrepreneurs we have the better. They provide jobs, taxes and keep people from the depression that is unemployment. I also strongly believe that Boris wants self-made people to do well also.
For many, this is still the Democratic People's Republic of South Yorkshire.

Meaning you're not morally, ethically, socially allowed to do well.

Other than by being a greedy, egotistic, slave-driving, profiteering, baby-eating capitalist, that is.

I know a bit about the mindset. I'm french and grew up through the 1981-1995 period, even had the misfortune of trying to run a business there towards the end of that period ;)

The loans were created by banks lending as much as they could to maximise profits.

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 20:53 ----------

the banks were instructed in the usa by the american gov to make these loans available to the poor to increase the diversity of lending no matter if they couldnt afford it......read some books!!

So why should poor people in the UK shoulder the burden for that?

For many, this is still the Democratic People's Republic of South Yorkshire.

Meaning you're not morally, ethically, socially allowed to do well.

Other than by being a greedy, egotistic, slave-driving, profiteering, baby-eating capitalist, that is.

I know a bit about the mindset. I'm french and grew up through the 1981-1995 period, even had the misfortune of trying to run a business there towards the end of that period ;)

I've always thought there was something funny about you.

Do you think BoJo would make a better Tory leader?

Archived