Homeless Charity Needs Cooks!!

lizzog

Hello.

I work for Homeless and Rootless at Christmas (HARC) a registered charity who provide shelter, food and, hopefully some entertainment for up to 100 guests who are Homeless or Rootless in Sheffield at Christmas.

We open in the Sheffield Cathedral (Archer Project) from Christmas Day from 9.30am to 7pm, closing on 1st January at noon. For the past 21 years we have filled the gap when other services and projects close for the holidays.

We are needing cooks in the HARC kitchen for the following shifts – can anyone help?

Christmas Day – 12-4

4-7

Boxing Day- 9-12

Friday 27th- 4-7

Saturday 28th- 4-7

Sunday 29th- 12-4

4-7

Monday 30th- 12-4

4-7

New Years Eve- 12-4

Brief outline of volunteer cook role -

Being in charge of the kitchen for that shift.

Ensuring that kitchen volunteers are allocated tasks appropriately.

Ensuring that the meal is prepared and delivered as per the daily plan.

Ensuring kitchen kept clean and safe.

If you can help, please pm me with your name and phone number and we can contact you.

Thanks!

The key to success there is to get most of it done the day before, it not further in advance. Items such as roasts, stuffing, yorkshires, mash etc can be done a few days before provided you have a larder big enough to store it and prep your veg in advance as well. Then on the day it's just re-heating and cooking the veg and make the gravy, could all be done and cleaned up in 4 hrs if planned properly.

I'd love to help but after working just about every christmas since my daughter was born as a chef, I'm afraid I can't. Shame as well as I saw the kitchen recently on a tv programme and looks quite a nice, well equipped kitchen.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far!

Have edited the post to include a brief outline of the Volunteer cook's role within the project.

Hope that helps!

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 13:13 ----------

Thanks for everyone's help so far, it's much appreciated.

Just to let you know that the slot on the 29th December 12-4 has now been filled.

Please contact us if you are interested in any of the other slots.

Thanks!

Archived