BoE reduces mortgage lending support

WeX

Time will tell. When the news first broke about the scheme it immediately created a housing bubble and people with property were greedily fingering their lapels. It's quite possible it had the opposite effect of what the scheme was supposed to do, which I though was to make cheaper mortgages for first-time buyers

Time will tell. When the news first broke about the scheme it immediately created a housing bubble and people with property were greedily fingering their lapels. It's quite possible it had the opposite effect of what the scheme was supposed to do, which I though was to make cheaper mortgages for first-time buyers

I suspect you're correct. The scheme should have been only for first time buyers, but this would have narked the middle classes who wanted an opportunity to add more properties to their pension portfolios.

I suspect you're correct. The scheme should have been only for first time buyers, but this would have narked the middle classes who wanted an opportunity to add more properties to their pension portfolios.

Not quite, the help to buy scheme and the funding for lending scheme are two different things.

The help to buy scheme is available to first time buyers and home movers, not buy to let purchases so the adding more properties to a portfolio was never an issue at all. It was there to get the housing market moving, helping second time buyers move up the ladder and leaving more first time buyer properties available to first time buyers.

Not quite, the help to buy scheme and the funding for lending scheme are two different things.

The help to buy scheme is available to first time buyers and home movers, not buy to let purchases so the adding more properties to a portfolio was never an issue at all. It was there to get the housing market moving, helping second time buyers move up the ladder and leaving more first time buyer properties available to first time buyers.

Oh thanks for the clarification. Good to hear this does not mean a reduction in the help to buy scheme.

Archived