A question for the men- would you shave with a straight razor?

Turkish barbers (proper ones, not season-only-beachfront-for-tourist-ones) aren't allowed anywhere near a customer with a cut-throat until they've served years of apprenticeship.

Obviously, I know such a proper one and know him very well indeed. His son is in his mid-30s and cuts hair, has been working with his dad for 15 years, and has only been allowed to shave customers with a cut-throat in the past 2 years. Been to see Mehmet regularly for the past 6 years (Easter and/or summer), and witnessed this first-hand.

Tells you all you need to know, really :|

to be fair, if i was letting someone else brandish a cut-throat around my neck, i'd want to be comfortable that they knew what they were doing - if i was doing it to myself i'd be a lot more relaxed

It is a skill... don't do it.

Think how easy it is to cut yourself with a cheap bic that positions the blade at the right angle for you and has a plastic guard... imagine what happens if there is no guard and you get the angle wrong. :gag:

Bypassblade. If you supported the other lot I'd be all for you giving it a go! :D

My advice would be don't even think about it. I was given one as a present about 45 years ago & wound up giving it away without using it.

The advice I was given by the man who gave it to me was to blow up a balloon, lather it with shaving cream & practice shaving the balloon without bursting it.

So if you're determined it might be an idea to try that first before blood is spilt. :o

Before growing a beard I was very tempted to get one as the price of disposable blades is pretty extortionate.

If it was me, I'd have one. Yeah, you will no doubt cut yourself a few times but remember, men were using them for hundreds of years before safety razors came along and we seem to have survived pretty well as a species.

jb

I have my beard shaped once or twice weekly by a barber. I thought I'd try doing it myself to save the hassle of getting there - and obviously some money.

After buying a good quality cut throat kit, all I can say is...never again! It was a nightmare. The guys that shave and shape my beard earn every penny!

It's all about directions and angles - and it's just not easy to do yourself. I certainly wouldn't want one of my kids doing it. :(

Archived