When did the Attercliffe Common become Attercliffe Common

PAL215

I've just been looking at at an Ordinance survey map dated 1850 (yeah I know…. I should get out more) and the road I know to be Attercliffe Road is clearly marked as being High Street, Attercliffe.

Which sparked the question when was the name changed and why? I then looked at a map dated 1905 and it’s on there as Attercliffe road so it must have happened sometime between 1850 and 1905, anyone out there in forumland know the answer….. oh and where exactly does Attercliffe Road become Attercliffe Common?

Attercliffe common becomes Attercliffe common past the bottom of Staniforth Road.

It starts roughly where the Don Valley Stadium starts, by the junctions of Leeds Road/ Newhall road.

I don't think you've researched that at all. The bottom end of Attercliffe Commom starts at the junction with Weedon Street, before that point it is Sheffield Road Or at least it used to, with the redevelopment of the area this may have changed of late, it's many years since I left Sheffield.

What I'm unclear of is where it becomes Attercliffe Road, I like you think it is at the junction of Staniforth Road but can anyone verify that with factual evidence.

I'm with PT on this one, though she's very slightly out imo, as Staniforth road is much farther towards the city centre from the DVS. Attercliffe Common begins at Newhall Road as far as i'm concerned, and always has in my lifetime. It ends by the retail park

I've no evidence to back this up, it's just what i was brought up thinking.

Attercliffe common becomes Attercliffe common past the bottom of Staniforth Road.

It starts roughly where the Don Valley Stadium starts, by the junctions of Leeds Road/ Newhall road.

I don't think you've researched that at all. The bottom end of Attercliffe Commom starts at the junction with Weedon Street, before that point it is Sheffield Road Or at least it used to, with the redevelopment of the area this may have changed of late, it's many years since I left Sheffield.

What I'm unclear of is where it becomes Attercliffe Road, I like you think it is at the junction of Staniforth Road but can anyone verify that with factual evidence.

According to AutoRoute it's Newhall Road to Weedon Street

As I said in my post I re-quoted above, I was very specific. It was researched extremely well, with a combination of personal knowledge having walked that road frequently to my grandfathers, on Carltonville Road, and double checking by using googlemaps.

I said, "It starts roughly where the Don Valley Stadium starts, by the junctions of Leeds Road/ Newhall road."

google map or bing map it, and you will see that, no word of a lie, Newhall road and Leeds Road indeed do lie by the Don valley Stadium.