When did the Attercliffe Common become Attercliffe Common

PAL215

Okay so after digging through more old ordinance survey maps on sheffieldhistory.co.uk and other reference sites I now have the answer.

According to OS map SK3889SW dated 1954 heading out of Sheffield towards Rotherham Attercliffe Common started at the Junction with Kirkbridge Road, the postal address for the Brightside and Carbrook Co-op branch which used to stand on that corner was 2 Attercliffe Common which would confirm that. Before that point it was Attercliffe Road (the Golden Ball stood at 838 Attercliffe Road) Attercliffe Common then runs all the way to the junction with Weedon Street after which it becomes Sheffield Road.

So, I remember my parents going for a walk "up cliffe" to Banners, Littlewoods etc. or "down t'cliffe" if they were going down as far as the Pavillion. I've forgotten which direction Weedon St was to be honest, in relation to Newhall Road. So how does my memory hold up?

So, I remember my parents going for a walk "up cliffe" to Banners, Littlewoods etc. or "down t'cliffe" if they were going down as far as the Pavillion. I've forgotten which direction Weedon St was to be honest, in relation to Newhall Road. So how does my memory hold up?

I've learned from experience that relying on my all to failing memory alone is a risky business. Only last week I found some pictures of the house I spent the first thirteen years of my life in. I hadn't seen images of this house in 45 years but although I thought my memories were indelibly etched in my brain, the pictures revealed that on the gable end of the house was some sign writing. Admittedly it was quite feint but I had absolutely no memory of it, even though I must have seen this every day of my life that I lived there. It demonstrated to me that relying solely on personal knowledge or what I think I remember or know is far from reliable, A lesson that many members of this site should keep in mind before pontificating opinions on what they perceive to be the absolute truth to before checking them out first.

I've learned from experience that relying on my all to failing memory alone is a risky business. Only last week I found some pictures of the house I spent the first thirteen years of my life in. I hadn't seen images of this house in 45 years but although I thought my memories were indelibly etched in my brain, the pictures revealed that on the gable end of the house was some sign writing. Admittedly it was quite feint but I had absolutely no memory of it, even though I must have seen this every day of my life that I lived there. It demonstrated to me that relying solely on personal knowledge or what I think I remember or know is far from reliable, A lesson that many members of this site should keep in mind before pontificating opinions on what they perceive to be the absolute truth to before checking them out first.
hi bro on seeing the pics you sent me I spent more years than you in the same house and I thought my memory was good of the early years but I also have no recollection of the writing on the end of the house xx

hi bro on seeing the pics you sent me I spent more years than you in the same house and I thought my memory was good of the early years but I also have no recollection of the writing on the end of the house xx

Oh bugger....... it runs in the family

Attercliffe Common finished at one end Weedon Street, the other i am unsure although always thought it was Staniforth Road. My Aunts shop was at 611 Attercliffe Common between Mons Street and Weedon Street. I have envelopes, containing letters, to my mother who was staying there from 1943-1945, (with me!) from my father who was in London building aircraft.