Glasgow pub hit by a helicopter..

I still believe the sound a huey makes is a breach of the sound barrier. The aircraft has two blades of great length. The longer the blade, the higher the tip speed. If someone had noticed the blades weren't spinning when it crashed looks like a gearbox or clutch problem. I did service them for 18 years in the RN, and still get a ride in a Bell Jetranger now and then when I can wangle it.

The huay as a Main Rotor Diameter 14,63 m and rotor spins at around 300RPM.

So the tip of the rotor blade is traveling at around 513mph, the max speed is 196 mph, so total tip speed at max speed is 709mph. Speed of sound is 761mph.

A longer the blade length will create lift at a lower RPM.

The Russian Mil V-12 as a 35 m diameter rotor, but it only spins at around 112RPM, this gives it a tip speed of 443mph. So at its max speed of 162 mph the tip of the blade is only traveling at 605mph.

Good job you are not in charge... they would be rescuing the rescuers at this rate.

Good job you are not trapped under that wreckage waiting to be rescued.

Was it a rescue mission or a health and safety exercise?

Over two days to get that helicopter off the bodies is a bloody long time.

What are your search and rescue credentials again?

Are police helicopters a still considered a good idea? I can understand that other emergency service search and rescue service helicopters are a good thing because they save so many lives, but for the police to have helicopters seems like a vanity project to me.

Often they are used to chase stolen vehicles or discover people growing cannabis in their attic using infra-red sensors, but is that worth nine dead?

Does anyone know what mission the crashed helicopter was flying when it crashed?

Both

You don't send healthy living people in to dangerously unstable buildings to 'rescue' dead bodies.

Yes, that may mean it takes a couple of days to confirm that there are bodies in the rubble, but if there are no signs of life under the debris, you simply don't risk other lives just to get those bodies out.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 00:01 ----------

Are police helicopters a still considered a good idea? I can understand that other emergency service search and rescue service helicopters are a good thing because they save so many lives, but for the police to have helicopters seems like a vanity project to me.

The same question could be asked about any police vehicle.

The same question could be asked about any police vehicle.

The same question is asked about police vehicles, especially when giving chase when they run over a pedestrian or cause a crash. I believe the police have changed their policy so they no longer give chase when they consider it will endanger the public.

Often they are used to chase stolen vehicles or discover people growing cannabis in their attic using infra-red sensors, but is that worth nine dead?

Does anyone know what mission the crashed helicopter was flying when it crashed?

They eliminate the need for high speed chases, so could have already saved lives.

"The death toll of 25 in the last year was condemned as 'totally unacceptable' by the chairman of the Police Complaints Authority, Sir Alistair Graham.

He spoke out after the latest PCA figures revealed the huge rise from 1997-98, when police chases claimed nine lives."

The same question is asked about police vehicles, especially when giving chase when they run over a pedestrian or cause a crash. I believe the police have changed their policy so they no longer give chase when they consider it will endanger the public.

They tend to watch the stolen car from above.

The pub was a live music venue, the two halves seperated by a horseshoe shaped bar, according to people that know the bar. I suppose there must be some internal structures, for toilets etc. There are no reports I know saying any walls collapsed. Even if we assume they have, how hard can it be to shift a few bricks, and some furniture? It's not like there are floors above to worry about coming down.

They've got the biggest crane in the world sat there they could have shifted it (Helicopter) long ago.

Treating it like a mining incident they said on the news.

Talk about making mountains from molehills. Its a bleeding bungalow.

Edit. At last they got it out.

Still saying there maybe more people to find.

Seems the relatives are saying the same as me, it's taken too long.

For crying out loud, you can't be serious, in order to attempt any rescue it needs to be checked that the building is safe not only for the rescuers but the people trapped too. Moving anything before this after something as large as a helicopter landed on a building could have resulted in more casualties/deaths

Didn't the rescue operation become a recovery operation after the first evening? If so, what's the point rushing, at the risk to the rescuers, recovering bodies.

So, tell me more about your expertise in emergency rescue?

Didn't the rescue operation become a recovery operation after the first evening? If so, what's the point rushing, at the risk to the rescuers, recovering bodies.

So, tell me more about your expertise in emergency rescue?

Spot on !

Unbelievable - I see sky news have been trying to big up this story.

The guy that lost his dad in there that was in the papers and all over the news really topped it off for me !

Dont get me wrong I can understand there frustration but its not the rescuers fault that they were trapped and unable to be recovered until the whole building was safe and the helicopter removed.

Archived