Sacred Soil and State-Sanctioned Slaughter.

Marx

Whose idea was this? Shipping soil from all over Belgium to some memorial garden in London in preperation for the Centenery of the start of WW1. Can anyone explain how it became sacred along the way and why it has such a high profile?

It seems to me to glamourise everything that is wrong with war, the state religion muscling in and taking sides, prayers being said for the righteous killers of the evil empire, pomp and ceremony being promoted instead of the real images of war. Farmers are still finding bits of soldiers in the killing fields and people are still dying from 'state sanctioned' wars. Have we learned nothing?

Who would willingly sign-up to die for their Country thousands of miles away in someone else's war so some corporation can turn a profit, if our leaders weren't complicit in selling patriotism as some kind of virtue?

Quite.

I hate the idea of all the commemoration of the start of WW1 that we're going to have rammed down our throats next year. It was a wasteful, tragic and pointless war and the only date that should be commemorated is the end of the war in 1918, not the beginning.

The idea that the battlefield soil is somehow sacred is just sick.

Cannot disagree with you regarding this. On September 10th last I & two friends went to France to find the grave of my first cousin - once removed - who served with the 12th Battalion ( City of Sheffield )York & Lancs , & who died on the 1st July 1916, the first day of the Somme.

Whilst I have nothing but sympathy for those who lost their lives in the War, I cannot accept why it should be glorified in any way.

War is obscene, most of the men who died were too young to fully appreciate what they had got themselves into.

Why are we commemorating the start of the war in 1914?

By all means commemorate the end of hostilities in 1918, but the start of a conflict that cost millions of lives? Why?

Obviously, if you were a complete cynic, you might think it had something to do with the upcoming referendum on Scottish Independence.

Naturally that cannot be the case, our politicians would not stoop so low as to use the sacrifice of millions as a political ploy. So why do you think we are going to partake in numerous ceremony's commemorating the beginning of a war that took the lives of millions next year?

I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of images shown about how futile and horrific the war was, and it won't be a glorification of war at all. It will serve as a reminder that something tragic happened a hundred years ago that should never be forgotten.

I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of images shown about how futile and horrific the war was, and it won't be a glorification of war at all. It will serve as a reminder that something tragic happened a hundred years ago that should never be forgotten.

I agree.

Millions of men lost their lives in one of the biggest tragedies to befall the modern world. So surely it should be commemorated?

That's not glorification.

But we can learn from history, and by remembering, avoid the same mistakes. By looking at it anew and with the benefit of hindsight we can reassess what happened and why. Perhaps this is their legacy.

:thumbsup:...... ..... ......

I agree.

Millions of men lost their lives in one of the biggest tragedies to befall the modern world. So surely it should be commemorated?

That's not glorification.

But we can learn from history, and by remembering, avoid the same mistakes. By looking at it anew and with the benefit of hindsight we can reassess what happened and why. Perhaps this is their legacy.

Sadly, politicians seem incapable of 'learning from past mistakes' They have a way of always being able to justify their decisions.

Completely disagree with the OP and he is putting a twist on what is happening that isnt there.

I think it's a very good idea and keeps it in the public conscience. Soon everyone will have passed away from that period. Getting the children involved is another way of passing this down through the generations.

It is about rememberance and respect for the fallen and to remind ourselves of the horrors of war. If we remember (including leaders) then it encourages us to remind ourselves what happened and why. The aim is never to repeat such a thing.

Why remember the start of the war? Absolutely vital we remember how the whole mess started. The end has much more significance if we understand what went before i.e all the sacrifice and stupidity. There are many families on an individual level who still want to pay respect to the relatives they lost and sacrifice they made. Recognition on a national level is important.

What moron would think it was anything to do with scottish independence or would sway you to vote? Mind boggles.

Agree with janie 48 and AnnaB.

Archived