Converted motorist

how about tye cyclist's who ignore everyone, ride on the roads with no helmet, no consideration fir other road users and wearing headphones so they have no idea whsts going on around them, and yes I have just seen this today

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Some cyclists do some stupid things. Personally I would never consider wearing headphones when cycling.

However, I do not agree with criticism based on someone choosing to not wear a helmet. There is a lot of conflicting evidence as to whether a helmet actually increases safety. Firstly, the protection they provide is limited - the standard they are coonstructed to is pretty low. Secondly, the limited protection it provides is only to the head - there are plenty of other vulnerable parts of the body. Finally, there is evidence that some drivers give less room to a cyclist wearing a helmet when they overtake - ie they compensate for what they perceive to be a better protected cyclist by driving in a way that actively puts the cyclist in increased danger.

Some cyclists do some stupid things. Personally I would never consider wearing headphones when cycling.

Same here.

However when I am going on a motorway on my motorcycle I usually wear ear plugs. The reason being because it is very loud and it could further damage my hearing.

cyclists can easily go as fast as a 50cc motorbike, so according to all the cycling fanatics on here, 50cc motorbike riders are stupid for wearing motorbike helmets, because it doesnt really offer much protection. ....do you actually realise how silly that lame argument sounds?

I am always very respectful of/careful around cyclists, as a driver I 'handle' them as I would a horse and rider. Slow and wide overtake.

But I draw the line at those riding two abreast, which constitute a dangerous obstruction on narrow roads, due to the speed differential. Usually to be found out and about at weekends. Tools.

I recently went on a CPC training course for one of my HGV modules and part of the course was cycle awareness training all to do with this thing in London Boris is doing ,they had us out on a bike peddling around the roads and I felt very vulnerable when cars and buses came flying past us,I think it would do a lot of motorists good to do one of these courses it certainly gave me an incite into what a cyclist has to put up with on the roads, I think I will be more tolerant towards cyclists in the future.

Glad to hear it.

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 09:00 ----------

how about tye cyclist's who ignore everyone, ride on the roads with no helmet, no consideration fir other road users and wearing headphones so they have no idea whsts going on around them, and yes I have just seen this today

What about them, does that make it okay to kill them, or does it make them less vulnerable, or is it not really the point?

Re:Helmet - it's been explained numerous times (maybe not to you though) that helmets are not a requirement, and they aren't even proven to actually increase safety. I don't wear a helmet, that's not an excuse for someone to run me over is it!

cyclists can easily go as fast as a 50cc motorbike, so according to all the cycling fanatics on here, 50cc motorbike riders are stupid for wearing motorbike helmets, because it doesnt really offer much protection. ....do you actually realise how silly that lame argument sounds?

You do realise that cycle helmets and motorcycle helmets have completely different construction standards.

Why shouldn't a helmet and high viz vest be compulsory.:confused:

Helmets increase the risk of being in a collision.

Lights are already compulsory, the same as for other vehicles, high viz would be fair if all vehicles had to be painted luminous yellow.

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 09:04 ----------

Are you actually trying to argue with the factual evidence that wearing a helmet increases the chance of being in an accident?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobos

I recently went on a CPC training course for one of my HGV modules and part of the course was cycle awareness training all to do with this thing in London Boris is doing ,they had us out on a bike peddling around the roads and I felt very vulnerable when cars and buses came flying past us,I think it would do a lot of motorists good to do one of these courses it certainly gave me an incite into what a cyclist has to put up with on the roads, I think I will be more tolerant towards cyclists in the future.

Glad to hear it.

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 09:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

What about them, does that make it okay to kill them, or does it make them less vulnerable, or is it not really the point?

Re:Helmet - it's been explained numerous times (maybe not to you though) that helmets are not a requirement, and they aren't even proven to actually increase safety. I don't wear a helmet, that's not an excuse for someone to run me over is it!

its also no excuse that you take your own safety very seriously, im sorry but the amount of cyclists who have this belief that they own the road and can do and go where they like is breathtaking, there should be a law about cycle safety because yes they are vulnerable, just like all other road users, but take some basic safety road awareness course and perhaps there will be less fatalities

its also no excuse that you take your own safety very seriously, im sorry but the amount of cyclists who have this belief that they own the road and can do and go where they like is breathtaking, there should be a law about cycle safety because yes they are vulnerable, just like all other road users, but take some basic safety road awareness course and perhaps there will be less fatalities

I take it you will be doing the cycling awareness course then? :)

Archived