Converted motorist

And a car jumping a red light and running into the side of another car is going to cause injury to the driver who had the green light, and more congestion as the cars block the road.

Yes, both break the law and it needs dealing with, but the size and weight of the car is inherently more dangerous.

Car vs. Car = possible injure.

Car vs. Cyclist = Injury and possible fatality.

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 12:58 ----------

I don't think anyone is arguing about this. I can't see how it's relevant to what the OP posted though.

I'm fairly sure that the majority of car journeys involve the car breaking the speed limit at least once.

And a car jumping a red light is likely to injure multiple people. A cycle jumping it is mostly risking their own life.

utter rubbish. You either do not drive or are being blatantly belligerent.

I do drive, and I know full well that the majority of people routinely break the speed limit. Along with all the rest of the bad driving you see, failure to indicate, poor overtaking, bad lane discipline, poor observation, excessive speed, jumping lights, illegal turns and so on.

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 13:02 ----------

Cyclists worry me on the road when I see them and I am neither a car driver or a cyclist myself.

As a pedestrian then? You worry whenever you see a bike on the road (where else would you see it).

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 13:07 ----------

Car vs. Cyclist = Injury and possible fatality.

And this could be caused by the car or the bike or both... A car jumping a red light is more dangerous than a bike.

So, the usual cyclist v car debate takes hold. Let's go back to the OP shall we, instead of blaming each other, and discuss the merits of such a course.

Personally, I believe such courses are great. I drive and cycle so can see this issue from both sides, however, the only way I can see how attitudes can be changed is for motorists to experience being on a bike. You really do get to see the bigger picture and understand why cyclists position themselves as they do etc.

So, the usual cyclist v car debate takes hold. Let's go back to the OP shall we, instead of blaming each other, and discuss the merits of such a course.

Personally, I believe such courses are great. I drive and cycle so can see this issue from both sides, however, the only way I can see how attitudes can be changed is for motorists to experience being on a bike. You really do get to see the bigger picture and understand why cyclists position themselves as they do etc.

Good idea.

I did state that my comments were purely down to my own experiences. I would be so presumptuous as to assume what I see every day is the norm and that I should tar every driver/cyclist with my views.

utter rubbish. You either do not drive or are being blatantly belligerent.

Same could be said for you.

As the driver of a car being hit, I'd rather be hit by a red light jumping cyclist.

It might be harder to get compensation from him for the damage, but the speed and momentum of such a vehicle is preferable to two tons plus of metal racing to jump the lights going into the side of me.

As for injuries, that's his problem for jumping the lights, although there's more change of him steering out of the way.

I do drive, and I know full well that the majority of people routinely break the speed limit. Along with all the rest of the bad driving you see, failure to indicate, poor overtaking, bad lane discipline, poor observation, excessive speed, jumping lights, illegal turns and so on.

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 13:02 ----------

As a pedestrian then? You worry whenever you see a bike on the road (where else would you see it).

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 13:07 ----------

And this could be caused by the car or the bike or both... A car jumping a red light is more dangerous than a bike.

Sorry I meant to say I worry when I see Cyclist on the road without a helmet on etc.

Get what you're saying AO but personally i neither need nor would take part in any such course. realising the dangers then using commonsense will do for me. :)

Same could be said for you.

As the driver of a car being hit, I'd rather be hit by a red light jumping cyclist.

It might be harder to get compensation from him for the damage, but the speed and momentum of such a vehicle is preferable to two tons plus of metal racing to jump the lights going into the side of me.

As for injuries, that's his problem for jumping the lights, although there's more change of him steering out of the way.

that doesn't change the law I'm afraid and the law is not graded on how dangerous an act is either, but others have already requested this thread is not hijacked so I will leave it there.

just got home and I nearly run a cyclist down!, turning right ar a roundabout, indicated clearly, cyclist ignored me and pulled straight onto roundabout from opposite direction, and he had the cheak to have a go at me!!!, yea rite

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

just got home and I nearly run a cyclist down!, turning right ar a roundabout, indicated clearly, cyclist ignored me and pulled straight onto roundabout from opposite direction, and he had the cheak to have a go at me!!!, yea rite

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

This happens to me a lot, as a cyclist turning right on a mini roundabout is a serious hazard as a good amount of oncoming cars that don't notice or simply just ignores my indication to turn right.

Lets not make this a car vs cycle thread though, can't we just lump people into good drivers/cyclists and bad cyclists/drivers groups?

Archived